• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Titmouse (1 Viewer)

Blue Bird watcher

I have a Tufted Titmouse nest in my bluebird box. My husband was curious and opened the box about a week ago. He soon learned he should not have done that. The female was on the nest and came flying out. It scared him pretty bad & he closed the box & left it alone. Since it wasn't a bluebird I didn't pay much attention to it. I have seen something coming out of it, but couldn't intenfy what it was because it flew to fast. But now my still curious husband looked inside the box today & found 4 eggs. I haven't seen much activity lately. I would like to know if she may have abandoned her nest??? I have finally put my foot down & told my husband not to touch the box again. But since having a much used box out for 8 years since moving to our current location. This is the first time I have had anything nesting in it. So I want to clean it out & let other birds use it if the current nest has been abandoned. What should I do??

IWhat should I do??

Just leave the nest alone--keeping as far away from it as practical--& see what happens. Once the female has completed the clutch & starts incubation she'll spend most of her time on the eggs & you won't see much activity. And even if the nest has been abandoned by the titmice, other potential nesters won't be bothered by the old nest & eggs, but will simply toss them out or incorporate them in their own nests.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back