• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regular visits from a juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird (I think?) (2 Viewers)

spalberti

United States
Hello,

I'm new here, and this is my first post. Thanks for reading, and go easy on me ;)

I sought out this forum for more information about a new feathery acquaintance. I am asking for help identifying the bird and determining if its behavior is typical.

Behavior

I call it "Tapper" because for the past two seasons, this bird has arrived on my kitchen window and 'taps' the window with its beak, seemingly to get my attention. When I come to the window, it backs off slightly, jumping to my grill, but then comes back to the window and hangs out. It stops tapping the window once I arrive and will hang out for 10-15min while I talk to it. At first, I assumed it just saw its reflection in the window, but it reacted to my movements and seemed very curious about me. Currently, it's not afraid to be on the window sill with me very close on the other side and we've been hanging out 3-4 times per day.

We do have feeders nearby, but this is not a perch location for any other birds. I used to think it was telling me when the food was gone, but now it comes around even when the feeders are full.

If this is a special relationship, how can I continue to befriend this bird? Should I?

Identification
See photos. I am located in SE Wisconsin. My best guess is a juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. Recently, Tapper showed up with some friends or family, which I've identified as Brown-headed Cowbirds. However, I'm still not 100% sure I've identified Tapper correctly.

Any questions or additional details I can provide? I have video of its behavior available.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• Image_20230606_120835.jpeg
    Image_20230606_120835.jpeg
    996.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Image_20230606_120800.jpeg
    Image_20230606_120800.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Image_20230606_120703.jpeg
    Image_20230606_120703.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7