• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A birdie on the golf course ! (1 Viewer)

Mutter

Morning all,

thanks for all the kind birthday wishes and congratulations on my impending fatherhood.

I had a great weekend but didn't over indulge too much. ;) Well maybe a little!

Anyway back to the title of this message, I was lucky enough to get to play a round of golf with my two elder brothers and my dad on sunday. The golf was nothing special but at my dad's golf club there's always a wide range of wildlife to be seen and Sunday was no exception. The course is on the edge of the chilterns and bounded by traditional deciduous english woodland, where Beeches and Oaks abound. As many of you have mentioned, the colour of the autumnal leaves this year is particularly spectacular and the views on this cold, crisp but beautifully sunny morning evoked memories of a distant visit to New England in the Fall.

Squirrels, magpies, Jays, crows, wood pigeons, finches and tits were a plenty but the best was yet to come. On the fourth hole which is one that I just can't seem to play without losing my ball, I hear an almighty racket coming from the woods. A split second later, over the top of the beech trees not 50 feet above my head, a mature adult buzzard came "hurtling" towards us, chased by a very agitated group of about a dozen crows. It was an amazing site which will stay with me for a long, long time, the buzzard was not for giving in though and was harried for the next 5-10 minutes by the crows who were clearly unhappy at being disturbed by this unwanted visitor. After some time the buzzard moved away from the woods and soared majestically above the course in the clear, sunny sky for the next twenty minutes or so, only to disappear gracefully over to the next valley along.

After another few, very average holes and a few not so bad holes, we were on the homeward stretch and I was quite looking forward to a decent pint of beer and a bag of crisps in the bar! But the course had one last "birdie" for us, sadly it wasn't for my valiant attempt at a chip in on the 17th, :eek!: but a stunning red kite circling above the course and fields adjacent to it.

The most memorable thing for me about red Kites is the way they use that beautiful forked tail of theirs to turn so majestically and so quickly and this fellow did not disappoint me, I could have stopped for ages just to watch him (or her) glide across the sky but we had to keep moving and so I bade farewell to the great "birdie", and ended up saying hello to a double bogey on the last! Ahh well, it was worth it.

And finally, as we were walking off the course my brother also pointed out a flock of redwings gathering in the trees as the light was just beginning to fade at the end of the afternoon, their calls carried afar in the still autumnal air.

A truely memorable round of golf but more memorable this time for all the right reasons.

Sorry if I've droned on a bit.

andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Sorry the Kites put you off your stroke but well worth a double bogey to see them I'm sure!!! :eek!:
Last time I played a round of golf I got told off for watching the birds and scenery instead of concentrating on the game but it's amazing just what you do see on a golf course isn't it? though never an eagle in either senses of the word!!! :eek!: not yet anyway!!! ;)
Best wishes,

Those Red Kites get me EVERY time Mutter, and I`m used to them having lived very near to where they were first released back in the early `90s. Down here, we get buzzards a plenty, but give me a Red Kite any day. Can still recall sitting on the edge of the Chilterns one spring day and watching about 15 of them using the thermals to rise almost out of sight. Fantastic!

Definitely NOT droning on....very interesting.

A very interesting read Andy, certainly not droning!
I always think it's wonderful when 'special' birds turn up when you're not expecting them. It makes up for when you have been looking and been unsuccessful. I went looking for Red Kites where they are supposed to be, and only got distant views. A flock of Redwings must have been wonderful to see, and the Buzzard episode sounded like fun.

A nice read Andy, it all made for a great birthday weekend didn't it!

You can now say the Red Kite was the icing on the cake (o)< (o)<

A lovely read, Andy, and certainly no droning. I love the Red Kites too; there is a pair near us and they are wonderful to watch.

Hi Andy.
What an interesting post. Even if you didn't manage a golfing birdie you saw some cracking feathered ones. When I used to play I needed all the exuses I could find for a bad round, and birds often got the blame. It was the same when I fished, many years ago; the float could be bobbing up and down like a cork on the sea, but if there was a Kingfisher in the area, and there often was, it certainly took precedence.
Thanks for sharing your game and sightings.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Andy,

Golf was never one of my games I'm afraid Andy (well just a bit of 'Pitch & Putt') but I've always liked Golf Courses as wildlife areas. I have a couple not too far from here where I drop in every now and then (usually coming back from the shops) and nearly always see something interesting.

Not a Kite though, only ever seen those in Mid Wales many years ago. Lucky you, no wonder you double-bogied the next hole. Next time carry your camera on your trolley.

Who bought the drinks at the 19th?

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Andy,

Golf was never one of my games I'm afraid Andy (well just a bit of 'Pitch & Putt') but I've always liked Golf Courses as wildlife areas. I have a couple not too far from here where I drop in every now and then (usually coming back from the shops) and nearly always see something interesting.

Hi Bill

I agree. Golf courses do get a lot of stick for not being wildlife / environmentally friendly and I can understand why but like you I always see something different on the golf course. Ok, if the course was still a farmers field or countryside it may be a bit diverse but on the other hand maybe not. There's one golf course I used to play at occasionally that had a badger set on it's boundary and the owners of the club used to be very proud and protective of the badgers.

bill moss said:
Who bought the drinks at the 19th?

Bill.

My eldest brother, he's got more cash than me and he's a member of the golf club. I still play the poor youngest brother when I can!!

andy

Hi Andy,
Sounds like you had the perfect 'round' up of your Birthday week-end.
Very many Congratulations to you and your wife on the news of your forthcoming Happy event.
All the Best Andy,
Judo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back