• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

The thread has become concerned with international travel rather than with the threats to birding. I suspect that day-to-day birding activities such as visiting nature reserves may well be threatened soon.

I have just had an email from a reserve that I volunteer at reiterating that the health and safety of staff, volunteers and visitors are paramount - I read that as we will be closing the reserve before long. Just as well that I enjoy working on my garden list.

Steve

Likewise, Butterfly Conservation has written to everyone regarding social distancing.

'In essence, we are urging all volunteers to follow official Government guidance, putting the health of themselves and others first and restricting the spread of COVID-19. Where this does not preclude moth recording, then it’s fine to go ahead, provided sensible precautions are taken.'

Last edited:
That lovely man Mike Ashley, is refusing to close 'Sport Direct' shops. Bosses at Sports Direct have said all stores will remain open because selling sporting and fitness equipment makes the company a vital asset during a national shutdown,'

'‘Consequently, we are uniquely well placed to help keep the UK as fit and healthy as possible during this crisis and thus our Sports Direct and Evans Cycles stores will remain open where possible to allow us to do this (in accordance with the Government’s current social distancing guidance).'

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/23/spor...iming-staff-key-workers-12445948/?ito=cbshare

Last edited:
That lovely man Mike Ashley, is refusing to close 'Sport Direct' shops. Bosses at Sports Direct have said all stores will remain open because selling sporting and fitness equipment makes the company a vital asset during a national shutdown,'

'‘Consequently, we are uniquely well placed to help keep the UK as fit and healthy as possible during this crisis and thus our Sports Direct and Evans Cycles stores will remain open where possible to allow us to do this (in accordance with the Government’s current social distancing guidance).'

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/23/spor...iming-staff-key-workers-12445948/?ito=cbshare

Now shutting after a backlash.

It does seem that you are meant to do the exercise from your house but as others have said this is not really logical. I will go for a run from my urban house and try my hardest to keep my distance from others on the pavement. However if I go in my car to the King's Forest or Rendlesham Forest for birding or a run I can easily avoid going within about 10m of anyone let alone 2.

It does seem that you are meant to do the exercise from your house but as others have said this is not really logical. I will go for a run from my urban house and try my hardest to keep my distance from others on the pavement. However if I go in my car to the King's Forest or Rendlesham Forest for birding or a run I can easily avoid going within about 10m of anyone let alone 2.

I tend to agree with this. If you're allowed to drive to the supermarket, why not be allowed to drive to an area for exercise where you're less likely to meet people than if you stayed close to home?

On a lighter note (always important to keep a sense of humour during dark times), presumably barber shops will be closing. Depending on how long this lasts, we're all going to look like we've just stepped out of the 70s. I mentioned this to my wife and she said she'd cut my hair. No way. I'd prefer the Ozzy Osbourne look.;)

Malcolm

I tend to agree with this. If you're allowed to drive to the supermarket, why not be allowed to drive to an area for exercise where you're less likely to meet people than if you stayed close to home?

On a lighter note (always important to keep a sense of humour during dark times), presumably barber shops will be closing. Depending on how long this lasts, we're all going to look like we've just stepped out of the 70s. I mentioned this to my wife and she said she'd cut my hair. No way. I'd prefer the Ozzy Osbourne look.;)

Malcolm

I have some photos of me from my younger days with hair down to my waist. I thought those days were over but maybe not. I had my hair cut on Friday and said cut it very short as I don't know when I'll get chance to get it cut again. That was a good move.

Malcolm

It is classed as an uneccessau car journey, whereas supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed under the latest guidance and enforcement.....

I do not understand why some fail to accept it recognise this - it's pretty straightforward.

It is classed as an uneccessau car journey, whereas supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed under the latest guidance and enforcement.....

I do not understand why some fail to accept it recognise this - it's pretty straightforward.

Yes , that’s become my understanding this morning. The information service is quieter this morning but still some reports about birds in places that seem to require driving to.

But surely the car journey itself isn't the issue. The nearest place I can walk to from my home is a country park which is a magnet for walkers, dog walkers, mountain bikers etc. I will come into contact with far more people there than if I drove somewhere ten or fifteen minutes away. This is the point Steve was making earlier.

The point of all this is to minimise contact between people. If driving somewhere allows me to do that, surely that is a good thing, as I'm less likely to contract the virus and bring it home to my family?

To me, this would only make sense if going outside was prohibited completely apart from essential trips to the supermarket etc.

Malcolm

But surely the car journey itself isn't the issue. The nearest place I can walk to from my home is a country park which is a magnet for walkers, dog walkers, mountain bikers etc. I will come into contact with far more people there than if I drove somewhere ten or fifteen minutes away. This is the point Steve was making earlier.

The point of all this is to minimise contact between people. If driving somewhere allows me to do that, surely that is a good thing, as I'm less likely to contract the virus and bring it home to my family?

To me, this would only make sense if going outside was prohibited completely apart from essential trips to the supermarket etc.

Malcolm

What doesn't get emphasised enough in my opinion, is it's not just contact between people, but contact via surfaces. Opening a gate, pay and display machines are all going to add to the infections.

The problem with you driving 15 minutes, is you can infect someone driving from 15 minutes in the opposite direction, as everyone has the same idea to go somewhere quiet. Then instead of isolated localised outbreaks, we are going to have cases everywhere.

Stay local, and if you think that is a risk, then stay at home sadly, or go out very early when it is quieter. Otherwise its going to last a lot longer.

Should I have the virus, the risk of me passing it on to anyone by driving to the countryside - and I would deliberately chose an area where there is very few people - is very close to zero. I still have 680 miles of fuel left in my tank so I wouldn't even have to go to a fuel station for a long time and when I did I deliberately chose pay at the pump and wore gloves which I then disposed of. But I am entitled to run around my fairly large town. Now having read the risks of that it's pretty minimal too but I'd come much closer to others. I also ensure I do not touch any surfaces with my hands when out.

However, I am frankly terrified about the thought of going to the supermarket. I have managed to get some essential supplies - wine - ordered online.

Being rather under-worked at home - it's fair to say not all children have fully embraced on-line learning - I have now started a from my study window list and it's reached the dizzy heights of 5! I'm not well located for birding in my backyard.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back