• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isabelline Shrike from Al Ain, UAE, 16.04.2018. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
who can help me with this Isabelline Shrike?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_6181a.jpg
    DSC_6181a.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 60
Hi there,
I would tend to favour a female Daurian Shrike (isabellinus) for this bird. The flanks are quite apricot-buffish, the supercilium isn't that prominent or whitish and the rufous-toned crown is fine for female Daurian. I remember some initial talk about a 2CY female 'isabelline shrike' possibly being good for Turkestan based on a rufous-toned crown, but subsequent discussions and research led to it being identified instead as a female Daurian. Though, as a bird of unknown provenance, perhaps that shouldn't be held up as an example in this case.
I don't know when phoenicuroides would be expected to pass through the UAE on spring migration, though I should imagine they would be occurring by now. On a trip to Oman in January-February 2014, all of the isabelline shrikes that we saw seemed closer to Daurian, and birds fitting the perceived appearance of that species seem to occur in winter more regularly than presumed Turkestan Shrikes in the Arabian Peninsula.
Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry,

I was basing my ID on the grey-brown upperparts, rather clean white underparts (apart from the wash on the flanks already mentioned), black mask, pinkish, dark-tipped bill and faint chevrons on the underparts. Looking again, I don't feel anything like as confident. I agree the super isn't very distinct, and looking again, the upperparts look sandier than before. A black mask is also fine for isabellinus. The faint barring on the underparts may indicate a 1st summer bird. I also remember reading in the Dutch Birding article that phoenicuroides should not show an apricot wash on the flanks. Re the warmly-coloured crown, I think the crown should be concolorous with the upperparts on female phoenicuroides.

You do get difficult individuals in the Gulf. I remember at least two individuals one day last autumn which I couldn't assign to either species. I remember Peter posting images of much easier birds previously.

As for timing, phoenicuroides are definitely passing through at the moment and are perhaps more common than isabellinus, although, as you rightly point out, they're rare in winter, when isabellinus is common.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back