• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Proper feeder placement. (1 Viewer)

carjug

Feeders for Hummers and other birds should be placed where the birds want to have them. This spot gets lots of Hummers, and should get lots of woodpeckers at a suet feeder this winter.
Oh good, the picture loaded! The feeder is 30 feet up in a pine tree. I have three set-ups like this, and they are getting clobbered right now. Doesn't matter what the feeders look like, either.
So, what works for YOU? What doesn't work? Pictures, people....

Attachments

• FeederPlacement.JPG
    FeederPlacement.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I have seven feeders hung on my back porch, some within 3 feet of my porch swing. Hummers are all over them. I have no doubt feeders will work 30 ft up in a tree, but I prefer to be on more intimate terms will them.

As with all our bird feeders, I also like to have the hummingbird feeders where I can see them well. At the lake we have a window feeder plus 4 or 5 others hanging around the deck and when sitting out on the deck it's almost like a larger version of being in a mosquito swarm. I'm sure the hummingbirds themselves would prefer the feeders hanging up in the trees but we like to watch the show and are the ones footing the sugar bill so........ |:p|

I live in a forest, no creek or lake or river or water at all. If I want hummers, I gotta work at it. I have 10 small feeders out right now, the three in tall trees get the most activity. There are hummers visible from every window in the house. If I just put a single feeder on the porch, all I would get is bees. The rope get-up is my second most popular location, and will be a great place to hand a suet feeder in the winter.

Now an example of poor feeder placement... Right outside a window. Hummers like cover, but cooks like me want to see the critters while washing dishes. I put a feeder right on the window. It doesn't get much activity and it can draw ants if it spills. Another feeder location 5 feet from the house gets 4 times as much activity because the birds can hang out in the leaves. Another location 10 feet from the house, but not visible from the windows gets major action, most of the Hummers we see while doing garden work are zooming for this one.
The window has a feeder on it; there is a second feeder in the tree branch; and the mostly glass feeder is in a bush.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 76
Our window feeder is the most popular with the Hummers and is the one we always seem to be refilling. It's the only one we have out that has built on perches though so maybe that's why. (we use the Perky Pet feeder that sticks to the window)

Carjug, are those homemade feeders? They are very unique. |=)|

Here's why I posted this posting:
I used to live on Oak Street in Boone North Carolina. Hummingbird feeding was a religion there, like Voodoo or Mayan temple ritual. It wasn't friendly competition, it was a cheatin' mud-rollin' eye-gouging kickin' fight. The local yokels did their darndest to steal their neighbor's birds, and they were good at it. There were flower-vines and feeders everywhere, and as a result you could see hummers perched on the power lines all summer long. We moved a few years back, and now I am amazed by all the dried out empty feeders I see hanging from porch eaves. While some people live in places where hummers will buzz up to a porch, most people don't I am amazed that people expect intelligent animals to want to get anywhere near human habitation, let alone busy roads or asphalt. So here is my message, PUT FEEDERS WHERE HUMMERS WANT THEM. This could mean your porch, but like my neighbors in Boone, probably means the quiet fencerow 100 feet from your back door. And plant some flowers while you are at it, and leave some trees and weeds to grow. It works.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back