• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changing the case of file formats of digital photos (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

When I look at my photos (using ACDsee) it doesn't show me the file format other than to tell me they are JPEG files. There are many people currently giving me photos for the site and some of them provide JPEG files with the file format in Upper case (ie JPEG), whilst others provide them in lower case (ie jpeg). When I contruct pages on my computer (using Dreamweaver) everything works fine and then I load them up onto the website. However, the website is case sensitive, so once I load them up on the website there are many photos that will not show because the case of the file format is incorrect.
Firstly, is there a way to view (on ACDsee or some other program) the case of the file format. Secondly, is there a way to alter large numbers of file formats (ie just the bits on the end - I think its called the extension), without alterring the case of the rest of the file names (which has bird names, so needs both upper and lower case letters).
I would appreciate any advice you can offer me on this, as I have two and a half thousand new photos to load at the moment and I would rather sort them all out in one batch rather than sort through them all to make corrections afterwards.

Tom

Last edited:
tomjenner said:
Firstly, is there a way to view (on ACDsee or some other program) the case of the file format. Secondly, is there a way to alter large numbers of file formats (ie just the bits on the end - I think its called the extension), without alterring the case of the rest of the file names (which has bird names, so needs both upper and lower case letters).

Tom

I don't know about ACDsee but you can do batch conversion/renaming with the free Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com/
A very useful photo editing program.

One part of the above is "Batch Conversion:
Select the Output Format at bottom left. This works just like Save and Save As. The Options button lets you choose from the various file format specific save options, just like the Save and Save As dialog."

Practise with dummy files until you know what you are doing to avoid losing the originals.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back