• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (61 Viewers)

Crane at Fairburn at 5.15pm. Watched it from road side, flew up and over the trees below the stacks. I didn't see it emerge from behind the trees but Trystan was with me at the time and he was going to look from the footpath at the base of the stacks.

Dashed over from work without optics so a big thanks to Keith for sharing his.
Nice to meet you!

Several people saw the bird go down behind the trees and it could well still be there but time constraints meant I had to settle for the brief view. Very vocal cuckoo around too.

I hate to say it Michael but that large gull looks like the caspo lookalikey lbbg. Note the strong gonydeal angle, streaked utcs and generally dark wings including the big dark panel in the primaries and the lack of obvious window. The caspian (which is the flying bird on my blog) was subtly different with a cleaner head.

Hes East today;
1 Wood Sandpiper
sum plum Dunlin
Hobby circling then flew south
4 (3m1f) Yellow Wags
pair of Wheatear
2 Oyks
Redshank
increased number of Lesser Whitethroat with 3+ Males singing
8+ House Martin

Also seems like we've got somewhere with the management of the site and the Uni so things are looking up!

Have a good day Tomoz Tim, text you during the day from Upton
B :)John

I'll take the bins to work again tomorrow and have a look for the crane at Fairburn if I find it I'll post on here.

I'm out again tomorrow morning Keith with a couple of friends. We've got a later start and will head to Fairburn at 8 ish. I can't post my sightings while out so I'll text you if the crane is still there (and you have dashed off to work) in case you are still able to post it on here.

Linda I'll have been and gone by 8.00 I'll text you if bird is on site when I arrive.

I'm out again tomorrow morning Keith with a couple of friends. We've got a later start and will head to Fairburn at 8 ish. I can't post my sightings while out so I'll text you if the crane is still there (and you have dashed off to work) in case you are still able to post it on here.

Redhouse and surrounds

Have whitethroats increased;seem to be everywhere on local patch at moment? This evening had swift over Hessay,2 Grey partridge at Redhouse. A LBJ in rough grass had me going for a while, was patient, a female reed bunt gathering nesting material!
Also a pleasure to find corn buntings singing their heads off! Love the way they throw their hads back and give it their all!

'My' owls have not been seen for months, Barn and Little, sad walking around my patch and not seeing them. Hoping for good breeding season!

4 swifts over poppleton rd this am...but yet to see house martin and garden warbler!!

Cheers

Paul

oh...gropper too!Thinking of heading Blacktoft tomorrow,if anyone gets there early and sees the 'showy' one...please post on here!!!

I agree with James that the gull in Michael's shot is not the definite Caspian Gull, but is it a LBBG?

If it's the same bird as Wednesday then some of the new scaps seemed too dark. Having said that there is the ghost of a window ( I didn't get a shot of the open wing) and this with the longer legs from weds suggests yl gull. Ah all too complicated...

Last edited:
Got lucky with the Spurn Subalpine Warbler today as it showed well for a short while in small buckthorn bushes opposite the Warren :t:

Attachments

• IMG_4772subalp_filtered small.jpg
    IMG_4772subalp_filtered small.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4798subalp_filtered small.jpg
    IMG_4798subalp_filtered small.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 65
If it's the same bird as Wednesday then some of the new scaps seemed too dark. Having said that there is the ghost of a window ( I didn't get a shot of the open wing) and this with the longer legs from weds suggests yl gull. Ah all too complicated...

In old money that's a deffo LBBG. God knows what it is in new-made-up-species money ;)

I saw a bird today but I never had my binoculars with me. It was on a cable but facing away from me and into the light. All I could see was a sillouette. It seemed smaller than a collared dove and it was purring like a Turtle Dove. Could it be anything else??? I really couldnt get a decent better angle to it or get any closer for barbed wire. Does anything else sound like a turtle dove??

I had a look in on this today and was way out of my depth, even if I did see it I won't be claiming it.

Further on at spurn, no sign of the subalpine warbler but some very useful year ticks, the best of which was a montagu's harrier.

Also several spotted flycatchers in.

Rovin' Outlaw
there isn't really anything that sounds like a turtle. I'm out Boston Spa way tomorrow morning doing my BBS square, pm the location and I'll have a wander by there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back