• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking after sick feral pigeons (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoken like a true anthropomorphic :t:

FPCL said:
Hello James, thanks for asking. Tell me,how long is a piece of string?
Take an eagle and take a feral pigeon, when either of them is struck down by disease, and they stand there hunched up, feathers staring,hugry & cold and awaiting a pitiful death, eagle doesn't know he is king and pigeon doesn't know he is common.
They only know Fear.
Have you ever seen a bleeding pigeon? I have. Eyes full of terror and the blood runs hot and red just like yours or mine, or the grandest eagle's.

You alone can decide whether you are missing the point or not.

seems to me FPCL is simply trying to save the life of an animal that potentially can be saved ...

now, to me or anyone else on this forum that may make no difference whatsoever but to that bird it does ...

anthropomorphism isn't a crime and people are interested and are motivated by birds in many different ways (as we should all surely by now know) ... I suspect had FPCL been trying to rehabilitate almost anything other than a Feral Pigeon it would be viewed differently ... but hey, who knows ...

FPCL said:
Hello James, thanks for asking. Tell me,how long is a piece of string?
Take an eagle and take a feral pigeon, when either of them is struck down by disease, and they stand there hunched up, feathers staring,hugry & cold and awaiting a pitiful death, eagle doesn't know he is king and pigeon doesn't know he is common.
They only know Fear.
Have you ever seen a bleeding pigeon? I have. Eyes full of terror and the blood runs hot and red just like yours or mine, or the grandest eagle's.

You alone can decide whether you are missing the point or not.

Well said, a pigeon is just as worthy of compassion as any other creature.

London Birder said:
seems to me FPCL is simply trying to save the life of an animal that potentially can be saved ...

now, to me or anyone else on this forum that may make no difference whatsoever but to that bird it does ...

anthropomorphism isn't a crime and people are interested and are motivated by birds in many different ways (as we should all surely by now know) ... I suspect had FPCL been trying to rehabilitate almost anything other than a Feral Pigeon it would be viewed differently ... but hey, who knows ...
you hit the nail on the head L.B. Bet a fox sits there laughing in his den while being torn to shreds by the hounds. A pigeon hit by a bullet falls to earth and bleeds to death while cooing happily.Dumb common animals. Non of them feels any pain and they know no fear,to say otherwise would be anthropomorphic.........
thanx for your support.

Eider-Duck said:
Well said, a pigeon is just as worthy of compassion as any other creature.
I'm telling you Eider-Duck, when my pigeons wake up tomorrow and give me a hard time (again)at breakfast, I'm gonna tell them that there are too many anthropomorphists rooting for them to get well and fly away. So they better behave! Thank you for showing compassion.

Hi FPCL, welcome to BF and I DO hope your charges will recover.
And just to throw my tuppenny bit into the fray - ALL life matters.
Bluetit

FPCL said:
Hello A,
Thank you for your advice re: poisoning, only I don't believe this is the case with my two lovelies.All the symptoms suggest they succumbed to the flaming paramyxo virus (pirouetting,neck torsion, pecking but not swallowing).

Hi FCPL,

Given the symptoms you describe, I'll bet a 'tenner to a tanner' that your diagnosis of paramyxo virus (PMV) is spot on. It is very distressing to see any pigeon twisting its head around in this way, and also making numerous unsuccessful attempts to pick up even a single piece of grain.

Under the circumstances you were quite right to contain the affected birds, as if they did manage to take off they would not be able to control their flight or even land again safely, possibly resulting in additional injuries. It may also be advisable to initially hand feed the pigeon some larger pre-soaked grains (tic beans, maple peas, maize etc.) until it is seen to be picking up food by itself. Also provide plenty of clean drinking water, if necessary even holding the bird's beak in it initially so that it can syphon enough up. Compared with many birds, pigeons do drink a large amount of water, in fact another early symptom of PMV is excessive drinking, often leading to 'watery' droppings - a sure sign that all is not well with the bird internally.

It is possible to obtain approved injection-administered PMV vaccines over the counter, or by post. In the UK it is a requirement that all pigeons taking part in races must be vaccinated annually. Sadly this does not apply to the UK's feral pigeon population, of course, and although many die, those which do recover will (should?) eventually build up a natural immunity to the disease. Any outbreak of PMV, also referred to as Newcastle Disease in domestic poultry flocks, is a notifiable disease and DEFRA must be informed if a suspected outbreak occurs.

On a happier note, I wish you well with your 'patients' and their eventual successful return to the big outdoors!

Anthony

bluetit said:
Hi FPCL, welcome to BF and I DO hope your charges will recover.
And just to throw my tuppenny bit into the fray - ALL life matters.
Bluetit
Hello bluetit,many thanks for the welcome & wishes for my two noddies. Going to put them out now in the garden, in the enclosure set up for them, to breath some fresh air & get the sun--but first feeding time again.

bluetit throw your tuppeny my way any time you like--ALL life matters!
FPCL.

Anthony Morton said:
Hi FCPL,

Given the symptoms you describe, I'll bet a 'tenner to a tanner' that your diagnosis of paramyxo virus (PMV) is spot on. It is very distressing to see any pigeon twisting its head around in this way, and also making numerous unsuccessful attempts to pick up even a single piece of grain.

Under the circumstances you were quite right to contain the affected birds, as if they did manage to take off they would not be able to control their flight or even land again safely, possibly resulting in additional injuries. It may also be advisable to initially hand feed the pigeon some larger pre-soaked grains (tic beans, maple peas, maize etc.) until it is seen to be picking up food by itself. Also provide plenty of clean drinking water, if necessary even holding the bird's beak in it initially so that it can syphon enough up. Compared with many birds, pigeons do drink a large amount of water, in fact another early symptom of PMV is excessive drinking, often leading to 'watery' droppings - a sure sign that all is not well with the bird internally.
FPCL.

It is possible to obtain approved injection-administered PMV vaccines over the counter, or by post. In the UK it is a requirement that all pigeons taking part in races must be vaccinated annually. Sadly this does not apply to the UK's feral pigeon population, of course, and although many die, those which do recover will (should?) eventually build up a natural immunity to the disease. Any outbreak of PMV, also referred to as Newcastle Disease in domestic poultry flocks, is a notifiable disease and DEFRA must be informed if a suspected outbreak occurs.

On a happier note, I wish you well with your 'patients' and their eventual successful return to the big outdoors!

Anthony

Hello Anthony,thank you for the info.
You were absolutely right re. their inability to fly. Two months ago,the first bird would only turn around on the spot & contort her lovely neck like crazy. Would try to fly but fall down to the ground in a heap.She must have been harrassed by the flock because top of her head looked mangled(but not bleeding).
I now let her fly indoors,she is so much better, can fly in a straight line and reach the target(window sill).No more crash landings. Her tail fans out but there are about two and a half feathers there, so she is quiet ruddderless. AND SHE STILL CAN'T PECK PROPERLY.
She drinks well. Both birds have a soluble formula of live bacteria added to their drinking bowls daily.
Interesting you suggested to pre-soak the grains, did it at their last feed(soaked in warm water,they seem to prefer warm water).
Anthony, even if I could get hold of the vaccine,I do not have the knowledge to administer the injection.
Pigeon no.2 is another story.Found her 5 days ago on the pavement, wandering aimlessly towards the road & the traffic. Only improvement I can see is that on the second day here she got the "dunking beak in water" message, and is now imbibing by herself. She has her full complement of feathers,wings are intact,but her flying's no good. This irridescent neck of hers is still flying backwards as she tries to peck. Flaming virus..... at least the instinct is there.
Both birds preen themselves, but don't hop into the water,although a bird bath is provided in their garden enclosure.
Should I try to put them in the bath myself, or leave well alone. Suggestions anybody?
Apart from the obligatory handling for feeding, cleaning the cages, placing in garden, I try to avoid any contact. IT IS NOT EASY as I am just dying to spend some time with them, get acquainted sort of thing. I sneak a really good look on the way to the "feeding station"(top of the washing machine in the kitchen).
But they are wild birds. I wish for the day when they may once more fly towards the blue skies.

Folks, this discussion of captive birds, their care and feeding, needs to be taken off-line (PM or private email). Whether the birds are intended for eventual release is beside the point; the discussion of caged animals on BirdForum is not allowed. We'd very much appreciate your cooperation here or we'll close the thread.

Katy Penland said:
Folks, this discussion of captive birds, their care and feeding, needs to be taken off-line (PM or private email). Whether the birds are intended for eventual release is beside the point; the discussion of caged animals on BirdForum is not allowed. We'd very much appreciate your cooperation here or we'll close the thread.

I can't help thinking that you have completely missed the point here. We are not discussing captive birds - the feral pigeons in question are an indigenous UK wild species which, if they were not sick, would normally be flying freely just like all other species of wild birds. In my opinion this thread is no different to any other discussing sick or injured wild birds, such as crows, swans, or finches etc. Are you really suggesting that because a bird has to be looked after, and possibly even temporarily caged until it is fit enough to be released, it means all discussion on sick and injured birds on BF should cease? Surely not!

I am more than happy to correspond with any member privately but this does not alter the fact that ALL species of pigeon and dove are capable of both contracting and transmitting the paramyxo virus. Closing the thread will only serve to stifle an exchange of (hopefully) useful information and experiences between members, which would be a great shame.

Anthony, you know very well what "captive bird" means so please let's not divert yet another thread to a debate about its appropriateness for discussion on BirdForum. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back