• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

What's the current status of the former small Scrub Robin population that used to frequent the coast road south of Gran Alacant?

Went to the Rufous Bush Robin site yesterday, still no sign of them.

Last year was a poor one for these birds, I don't think they bred there in 2017. Looking back over my records for the last 7 years, they usually appear around this time, but unfortunately there is now more human disturbance to the area with the opening up of a carpark for the route down to the beach - not to mention the local perverts who are still in evidence.

I'm back to the UK on Sunday for yet another operation, I'll have another look before I go...

I was reading on an earlier page about a Bonelli's Eagle nest site at Monegre ?, Montnegre ?, Monnegre ?, we are staying near Castalla for a couple of weeks in August and would love to see them, can someone give me some more info as to whereabouts it is please.

I was reading on an earlier page about a Bonelli's Eagle nest site at Monegre ?, Montnegre ?, Monnegre ?, we are staying near Castalla for a couple of weeks in August and would love to see them, can someone give me some more info as to whereabouts it is please.
Although I'm sure your request is "genuine", it is never wise to ask for info about nesting sites on an open forum particularly regarding a species like Bonelli's Eagle

It's all very quite on here the last posts being last May !...will be back out in five weeks so looking forward to some good action.

I managed to get a couple of hours at Montnegre and well worth the drive over there too, an hours watching gave me Goshawk, a quite dark plumaged Bonelli's Eagle, two larger all dark brown Eagles that i'm guessing were Golden Eagles, six bee Eaters, Woodchat Shrike and a not certain but possibly Crag Martin, the raptors were all circling within a half kilometre of each other and surprisingly I thought no skirmishing going on.

Also at our villa we were lucky enough to have lizards, gecko's and a couple of praying mantis in the poolside shrubbery, one green, one brown, two different species ? or young and adult ?.

Last edited:
Have strolled out the last two evenings around 7pm between Purgateros & Tres Fuentes near Pinoso in the North of the Province. Although quiet at first, quite a bit about including:
Short toed Treecreeper
Crested Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Chough (100 plus)
Alpine Swift
Red Legged Partridge
Red Rumped Swallow
Bee Eater (Flock of 37)
Booted Eagle
Black Wheatear 3
Blue Rock Thrush 3

Such a beautiful pace to bird.

Little bit of help please.....

Can you tell me if the vulture feeding station/hides at Alcoy are open as a walk in, or is it by prior arrangement ?

Thanks

Paul S

Out for a month or so, first visit to the Clot de Galvany produced some good birds. Of interest, a Wryneck is back at the "dry hide", this is the third year in a row I have seen this species at this location, the photo below is more of a record shot (taken in poor lighting conditions at sunset).

Also present the usual Bluethroats (one bird with very bright plumage) and at least half a dozen Subalpine Warblers - I know some of you are keen on seeing these birds! The Bluethroats and SWs are fairly easy, but you have to be patient to get the Wryneck.

Attachments

• DSC_1732.jpg
    DSC_1732.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_1721.jpg
    DSC_1721.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_1704.jpg
    DSC_1704.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 49
Now back in the UK on Wednesday after a ten day trip based near San Pedro / Pillar Horadada.

I found the period of my visit very quite with most summer migrants having now left apart from a few Swallows, less numbers of Martins a few Bee-eaters and wader migration was very disappointing. San Felipe was very quite and as you all may know the North Gate access closed to the public but I believe access is now available.

I have too many images to post here but you can view the images I thought worth posting on the blog. I haven't posted all the trip reports on the blog but I will add more in the next few days

Last edited:
A very nice surprise yesterday on the main pool in the Clot de Galvany in the shape of both a male and female Ferruginous Ducks!

Swallows are still migrating through on a daily basis, there were about 50 birds flying about yesterday, most of them Barn Swallows with just two Red-rumps and a smattering of House Martins.

Attachments

• Fudge 1.jpg
    Fudge 1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Fudge 2.jpg
    Fudge 2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 10
Little bit of help please.....

Can you tell me if the vulture feeding station/hides at Alcoy are open as a walk in, or is it by prior arrangement ?

Thanks

Paul S

I've only been once. It was a pain to find and I ended finding it by pure luck, no signs!
Birds are viewable from a couple of points along the path but it was closed and locked when I went.

I've only been once. It was a pain to find and I ended finding it by pure luck, no signs!
Birds are viewable from a couple of points along the path but it was closed and locked when I went.

Thanks

I managed to contact CCBC for info, this was the response....

"Hi Mary

If you actually want to go into the feeding station you will need to contact Alvar on 680522889 to book. The price was 40 euros each, not sure if that is still correct.

Obviously you can walk up there and see from outside the hide. The vultures usually fly out over and about.

Hope this helps

Greta"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back