• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (2 Viewers)

I would still go for the Great White Pelican. It's not like right now there are a huge swath of critical vagrants present across the ABA area, and better to grab it just in case it does get past the records committee. People going through captive bird registries have found only one collection in Florida of the species, and those birds are all accounted for (Great White Pelican isn't nearly as common on this side of pond in zoos as it is in Europe).

The Ding Darling Preserve is a splendid place, but particularly for people who are prepared to take the walking route and bird patiently along it. In the 1990s, I have fond memories of being mesmerised by a host of Nearctic warblers that were gradually moving through the dense bushy foliage - if we'd gone at normal walking pace, we would have missed nearly all of them! We took over six hours out and back.

I have a picture in my hallway of a Black-crowned Night Heron sunning itself with out-turned wings just where the footpath rejoins the vehicle road; it was in a semi-hypnotised state where I could approach it closely, taking many photos.

The spell was broken when a guy got out of his car, came over, then yelled at the top of his voice to his soulmate in the car, ''Bring the goddam camera'! He grabbed the camera from her, ran back up to me, and then in an equally loud voice demanded, 'Where's the goddam duck gone?'.:-C
MJB

The Ding Darling Preserve is a splendid place, but particularly for people who are prepared to take the walking route and bird patiently along it...
Mike, I can vouch for the frustration of trying to find target species by car along a 5-mile one-way-only wildlife drive (ie, with no possibility to turn back)! In May 2005 my wife and I had to make three complete circuits of the refuge to find Mangrove Cuckoo. Not very eco-friendly...

basically...he still has a ton of migrant songbirds and shorebirds that are plain not around yet to nab

Good on grabbing the Patridge...that is actually kind of tricky, and I have seen other big year birders not pick it up until as late as November.

North and South Dakota are great birding destinations. I turned round on the road to Marmarth though: I was too afraid to get lost! No place for a city birder, indeed...

his last blog post, at least in the comments, implied he was going to Newfoundland and then Florida, although it wasn't clear if he had skipped Newfoundland or not.

He's done amazing on Turdus so far this year. Redwing, Fieldfare, Rufous-backed Robin, Clay-colored Thrush, White-throated Thrush, and of course the ever present American Robin. Hopefully he can pick up a Dusky or Eye-browed Thrush in Alaska this spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back