• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify this dove! (Hong Kong) (1 Viewer)

I'm not entirely sure, but the only thing I can think about is Emerald Dove as well, a female I'd say. But as you say, the eyes don't really fit and the bird is very pale. :brains:

André

Thanks both of you! I think Mark has hit the nail on the head! It's the closest thing I must agree. I didn't quite catch the pale underside of the bird as well, so good call on your part Andre. Anyways, thanks again Mark, you did it again!

Chris

Dear Chris

Good photo!

This is a very interesting record. could I ask when you photographed this bird and where in HK. If it is a wild bird it would be the first record for Hong kong and many people would be interested to see it.

Cheers
Mike

Hey Min,

Unfortunately, this wasn't taken in the wild. The picture was taken just about a month ago at the Hong Kong park Aviary near Central I believe.

On another note, I was actually quite taken back when I saw a Bali Starling at there. I believe it's one of the rarer and most endangered birds in the world. If you haven't been to the Aviary in Hong Kong park, I think it's worth a visit.

Hope that helps!!!

All the best,
Chris

Dear Chris

Many thanks for clarifying .

I know the aviary well. It has a range of birds from around the region and is managed by the same people who manage the Zoological & Botanic Garden bird collection. ZBG has a very good record for breeding threatened species including Bali Starling.

There are several old records of Green Imperial Pigeon from Guangdong province so it is a possible vagrant to Hong Kong.

Cheers
Mike

Ps Like your pix of Cattle Egrets with the cows (I guess at Pui O on Lantau?) and of the Great Egret with the mullet (the fish not the haircut).

Hey Mike,

Is the Botanical and Zoological Garden next or close to the Aviary? I think I remember friend of mine mentioning a garden in the proximity of the Aviary. It's a really great cause that their doing; I'm sure most of us here hate to see anything go extinct.

I'm glad you liked the pictures. I believe the location of where both these pictures were taken is a place called "Lok Gang". I hope that makes sense; I'm not entirely sure of the ping ying. It's somewhat near Sha Tin where there's a large reservoir.

On another note, I had the chance to venture out at Mai Po today. It's such a beautiful place. Still haven't had time to take a look at the shots today but it was a great experience. I'm sure you've been there before; I keep seeing bulletin boards mentioning "membership required" or something along the lines of that. I haven't really heard anybody mention anything about a membership and it doesn't seem to be regulated as well. Know anything about that?

All the best,
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back