• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dove help (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I took this picture 1 month ago at the Quintana Neotropical Bird Sanctuary in Quintana, TX. merlin keeps calling it a mourning dove but it is not. the markings on the face and the darker wings with sp[ots are throwing me off. I dint know if it is a hybrid, immature or what, but is it not matching up with any of the pictures I have looked at. please help with its ID. Thank you
_Q2A5661.jpg_Q2A5663.jpg

Being in a zoo with that name, of course it could be from anywhere in the Americas - but, actually, I think it is a (very) juvenile mourning dove. The tail-, cheek- and wing-patterns are right (juvs have spottier coverts?), the dark around the neck is feather-bases, and the little white streaks on the chin/face are feathers still in pin. (Plus it looks like a Zenaida dove and I don't see a better one to match than mourning dove.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back