• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread (1 Viewer)

1 October

Unst

River Warbler - national rarity

Mainland

Short-toed Lark - Scottish rarity
Corn Bunting - Shetland rarity

I may have missed something in the myriad messages today, feel free to shout out. Felt like the first day since August where anything might turn up anywhere.

3 October

Unst

Pechora Pipit - National rarity
Eastern Yellow Wagtail - National rarity

Mainland

Blyth's Reed Warbler - Scottish rarity

Foula

American Golden Plover - Shetland rarity

Not sure how many readers care too much about the inter island element, but personally I am surprised nothing has turned up on Fair Isle whilst these good birds are appearing on Unst. Usually the prelude to Fair Isle coming back with interest...

Following island totals with interest and waiting with baited breath for the Sept. update, appreciated.
P

6 October

Whalsay

Subalpine Warbler - 'national' rarity

I am assuming the Pechora Pipit is the bird nearby earlier in the week unless anyone knows otherwise.

See post 74. It has held up a little better than people might have assumed, particularly on Fair Isle thanks mainly to a handful of Arctic Warblers there.

Thanks, I should have checked back.

I am susrprised! From the comfort of my distant home it feels like it has not been very good. Maybe the almost total lack (until just lately) of YBW’s has given that impression?

Thanks, I should have checked back.

I am susrprised! From the comfort of my distant home it feels like it has not been very good. Maybe the almost total lack (until just lately) of YBW’s has given that impression?

I guess 2017 wasn't a vintage either and the numbers are still down, but yes I think the lack of birds to 'keep you going' in the field has added to the impression.

12 October

Mainland

Booted Warbler - National Rarity
Ring-necked Duck - Shetland Rarity
Pallas's Warbler - Shetland Rarity

As far as I know no scoring birds on any of the other islands.

13 October

Fair Isle

White's Thrush - National Rarity

Mainland

Short-toed Lark - Scottish Rarity
Olive-backed Pipit - Scottish Rarity
Pallas's Warbler - Shetland Rarity

Yell

Olive-backed Pipit

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back