• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asking suggestions to visit Shetland (1 Viewer)

firecrest_it

Italian Birder
Hello everybody,

I am planning to visit Shetland islands this summer for 1 week. Focus is mainly on seabird colonies ('mainly' but not 'only' ;) ).

I would be happy if anyone can answer to these questions:
1 - Which is the best period to visit the Islands to see the various species of Auks, Bonxies, Gannets etc?
2 - I was thinking to rent a room in Lerwick for all the week: having a car, is it possible to reach Yell, Unst, Fetlar and the other islands in one-day trips? (excluded Fair Isle, surely too far) Or is it better booking for some days in Mainland and for some others somewhere else?

Any other suggestion is welcome!
Thanks everybody!
Sebastiano

The best period for seabirds will be from late April until mid July when everything should be about and on the cliffs. Most of the species should be around before and after these times but might be harder to see.

You can do all of the main islands in a day with a car. The ferries are pretty regular and are short journeys. They're not too expensive either. Fetlar is worth a visit for Red-necked Phalaropes.

A couple of things I'd suggest you might want to do. The first is a boat trip out of Lerwick Harbour around the island of Noss. This is a bit expensive but is very good for seeing some of the best seabird cliffs in Shetland. Another trip that is worth doing is to Mousa, which is an island between Lerwick and Sumburgh. There are regular night trips there to see the Storm Petrel colony. Both these trips are obviously weather dependent but you should be able to get details from the tourist office in Lerwick.

I agree with everything Andrew has said.

The ferries are very good and regular so all you need is a timetable and your set. They are also quite cheap too. I live on Yell and work on the mainland with no problems at all.

You could also consider a day trip to Fair isle by plane from Tingwall (20min) at £58, which can give a few hours to explore this great place, just book a few days in advance and you should be ok.

You'll probably bump into a few of the local birders up here too, and they will happily let you know about any rarities or help you with logistics if you need. Send me a PM if you need timetables etc.

Good luck and have a great time.

Hi Sebastiano,

As Andrew says, a boat trip while you're here in Shetland is a must! The Noss boat trips are run by Jonathan Wills - see website: http://www.seabirds-and-seals.com/. I've been on their Muckle Flugga and Noss trips, and they're both great.

Alternatively, other boat trips are run by Brydon Thomason - see website: http://www.shetlandnaturecruises.co.uk/index.php?page=home. Brydon's a great guy to spend time birding with (or drinking!), and I'm sure you'd enjoy a day out with him as your guide.

A day trip to Fetlar for the Red-necked Phalaropes is also a must for a summer visit. They're incredible to see feeding practically by your feet.

You can get to all the islands and back again to Lerwick within a day-trip by car/ferry, or as Dougie says there's also the interisland planes, which can take you to Fair Isle, Foula, Whalsay, Out Skerries, and Papa Stour.

Hope you make it here as planned - I can't think of a better place to come for a holiday!

ce

My apologies Hugh, I was thinking only of boat trips, and not the wide range of excellent trips your company offers.

Sebastiano, you're spoilt for choice!

ce

Dear Sebastiano,

I suggest that you also give some thought to visiting Unst, home to the outstanding Hermaness National Nature Reserve and the most northerly populated island in the UK. Muckle Flugga Charters operate daily boat trips around the gannet colony on Muckle Flugga and you will see puffins, guillemots and bonxies galore.

Hermaness also ranks as one of the great cliff-top walks and you can do it on your own, in the company of a Ranger, or with Fetlar born naturalist Brydon Thomasen.

You also mentioned accommodation. I work for a new venture on Unst - Saxa Vord. We have transformed the domestic site of the former RAF base, RAF Saxa Vord, into a new "natural and cultural heritage activity centre". You can have a single room in our Sergeants Mess Bunkhouse plus a full cooked breakfast with cereal and toast, a soup and sandwiches lunch or pack lunch alternative, and a 2-course bar meal for £46 per day. Alternatively, you can stay in one of our self catering houses and either cook for yourself or enjoy breakfast, lunch and an evening meal in our restaurant.

Brydon Thomason will be leading nature walks from Saxa Vord on 2 days a week this year and in the evening we will have talks, demonstrations - and live Shetland music.

For full details on Saxa Vord and on all that there is to see and do on Unst see our website: http://www.saxavord.com.

Dear Andrew, Dougie, Cornish, Hugh and David, thank you for all the kind answers!

My biggest doubt is about the period: I mean that probably I could arrive on the islands only after the 20th of July, while in your replies and in all the websites that I read, it is said that the colonies are populated "until mid July".

...maybe it's a stupid question but... is there a so big difference between, let's say, 5th-12th and 19th-26th July? Do the Alcidae spp. have a difference between them in the 'timing' in which they will leave their colonies? And what about the colonies of Gannets, Bonxies and Storm Petrels?

I imagine that you will answer that I will find everything, but you know, having a confirmation would make me more relaxed!

Sebastiano

In the case of the alcids, a lot of chicks will be fledged by the first week of July although its no problem seeing good numbers of Guillemots and Razorbills at the major colonies in to the third week of July (eg. at Noss). Puffins will typically start to depart in early August and Black Guillemots are resident (though they start to moult in early autumn and move offshore). As for all the other seabirds, they would all still be here to the end of July (Gannets at Noss can be seen in to early September). The Storm Petrel trips to Mousa stop at the end of July and some may say that the later the better for these birds as the colony is inflated by numbers of non-breeding birds coming ashore. So, in reality there will not be a huge difference in 5 - 12 and 19 - 26 July.

Cheers

Hugh

Dear Hugh,

thank you! ...and I really hope to conclude positively the organization of my travel to the wonderful islands of Shetland!

Cheers,
Sebastiano

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back