• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN-4 77mm Focusing Problem (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

I just sent the following to Kowa Service Department.

I have a KOWA 77mm TSN-4.

This morning while out birding I noticed that the focus wheel reachs its limit at approximately one city block. After that it will not focus anymore on more distant objects. What could be the cause of this problem? The scope was not dropped or damaged in any way. It just seems to lose its ability to focus on objects further away than the one city block (mentioned above). I have had the scope for approximately ten years, but I can not remember for certain where I purchased it.

If I need to send it in to have it recalibrated where should I send it? What would be the estimated cost of having it serviced?

I probably should have been more clear about the problem. The focus knob will turn and focus on objects up to a city block away (about 100 meters or so, I suppose) then the focus knob is at the end (it will not turn anymore). That is, the knob has reached its physical limit, its "end" point. It focuses just fine up until that 100 meter limit.

Do any of you have any ideas about what has happened to my focusing mechanism? Is there something I can do to fix the problem? Or am I better off sending it in and probaby paying too much to have it taken care of!

Having not received any responses in this thread concerning the focusing problem on my KOWA, I have sent it to the KOWA Company in California via United Parcel Service (UPS). It will probably be several weeks before it is returned, so I will just have to be satisfied birding with my binoculars.

A remote possibility is that your eyesight is changing. I am in need of bifocals and am refusing to get them ... as yet... anyway I have noticed some problems when using binoculars but not with my scope. I have found that if I hold the bins a tad distance from my glasses so that they don't actually touch my glasses the image appears sharper.

I doubt this issue you are dealing with and sending it back to KOWA was probably the best move.

best of luck!

W

Larry Lade said:
I just sent the following to Kowa Service Department.

I have a KOWA 77mm TSN-4.

This morning while out birding I noticed that the focus wheel reachs its limit at approximately one city block. After that it will not focus anymore on more distant objects. What could be the cause of this problem? The scope was not dropped or damaged in any way. It just seems to lose its ability to focus on objects further away than the one city block (mentioned above). I have had the scope for approximately ten years, but I can not remember for certain where I purchased it.

If I need to send it in to have it recalibrated where should I send it? What would be the estimated cost of having it serviced?

I probably should have been more clear about the problem. The focus knob will turn and focus on objects up to a city block away (about 100 meters or so, I suppose) then the focus knob is at the end (it will not turn anymore). That is, the knob has reached its physical limit, its "end" point. It focuses just fine up until that 100 meter limit.

Do any of you have any ideas about what has happened to my focusing mechanism? Is there something I can do to fix the problem? Or am I better off sending it in and probaby paying too much to have it taken care of!

Thanks for your post, W.

My scope is currently in Gardena, California, (via the UPS). Should reach KOWA (Torrance, California, ere long). I hope they can fix the problem inexpensively!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back