• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 more flower I.D's please (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I thought 1 or both of them was/were Rose of Sharon but when I 'googled' it nothing showed up.
Any help appreciated-thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Rose of Sharon.JPG
    Rose of Sharon.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 65
Aye, right family, Hypericum, aka Rose of Sharon, aka St John's Wort. Again garden hybrids here, I think. They're a promiscuous lot, so hyridise left right and centre!

The red stems on No.1 might help pin it down... looks a bit like Hypericum androsaemum aka Tutsan.

B :)
I thought 1 or both of them was/were Rose of Sharon but when I 'googled' it nothing showed up.

The second picture is definitely St.Johns Wort and Rose of Sharon is an alternative name for it. St Johns Wort is linked in folklore to the Feast of St. John and midsummer and believed to have powerful protection against evil inflluences. It is considered a very important medicinal herb and taken to cure many ailments such as melancholia, nervous disorders and depression. In Ireland in folklore it is believed to have the power to expel demons and associated with having abundance, it used to be given to children on St.Johns eve to prevent sickness and often worn on the body to keep away evil. It is thought to be one of the seven Irish herbs that nothing natural or supernatural can injure and the others are Vervain, Speedwell, Eyebright, Mallow, Yarrow and self heal. To be fully effective they had to be pulled at noon on a bright day and near a full moon but should not be collected on May eve. In Ireland St. Johns Wort is associated in folklore with Our Lady and St.Colmcille as well as St.John. The 23 June is the feast of St.Johns Eve and known as midsummer in Ireland and believed to be best time to collect it for medicinal purposes although that date extends until 29 June or even 4 July in France and Europe. The French have a saying 'avoir toutes les herves de la St Jean' which is to have all the herbs of St.John and means 'to be ready for anything.' There is actually a lot more information in a great book about Irish wild plants by Niall Mac Coitir which makes some fascinating reading.

Your second picture is Hypericum calycinum, a low growing species that can make a large carpet and which is commonly grown as ground cover and can withstand quite tough conditions.

Brian Laney Botanist Northamptonshire.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back