• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Identification - RSPB Titchwell 25th June (1 Viewer)

DSC05247_DxO.jpg
Looking for help on this warbler please. Initially I thought it was a sedge warbler, but when I processed it did not look quite right. It's not a great shot as it was into the early morning sun. Identification apps are suggesting Great Reed Warbler, but I know that this is very unlikely, but I don't remember the size of the bird. Any help greatly appreciated, I am still learning. Thanks!

Hello Mark,

welcome to Birdforum!

I agree with Owene, your bird is a Reed Warbler.
I presume, the apps are fooled by the appearant large headed jizz. But it's the result of raised crown feathers and stacked out head.
Although variable, complete lack of a supercilium is bad for a Great Reed Warbler. Your bird has a pale blop above the lores and a pale eyering, a typical pattern for a Reed Warbler..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back