• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polecats (1 Viewer)

Peugeot

Early this morning, I saw a Polecat in North Wales, in the lowlands on Deeside in Flintshire.

I've noticed that this species is a BAP mammal, and also a species of conservation concern in the U.K.......should I report the sighting to a relevant conservation authority ?

Yep, report it to the British Mammal Society; you can do this online, starting from here:
http://www.mammal.org.uk/contact/faqs/#knownfind

Thanks very much for your help..........

It's the 1st Polecat I've ever seen in my life, and it appears to be a genuinely wild one, because it showed the diagnostic 'dark mask' on it's face, and had dark brown fur, with paler sides to it's flanks, which apparently, always separates it from an escaped Polecat-Ferret.

Early this morning, I saw a Polecat in North Wales, in the lowlands on Deeside in Flintshire.

I've noticed that this species is a BAP mammal, and also a species of conservation concern in the U.K.......should I report the sighting to a relevant conservation authority ?

Polecats must be relatively common in the M56/A494 area judging from the number of corpses I've seen by the roadside in the last several years. I suspect the population was originally a mixture of truly wild Polecats and domestic stock but after many generations bred in the wild I imagine they'd be almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back