• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tundra / Taiga Bean Geese (1 Viewer)

Hi Karl

yep they're different - used to be conspecific though, and there are a couple of other races too....
no time to explain right now (Taiga bigger, Tundra smaller)

but there's a large flock of Taiga in the Yare Valley that can be sean from Cantley and occasionally Buckenham (better views but a very long walk from the car park at the train station)

atb
Tim

I generally separate them on the basis of Taiga having a longer, slimmer neck which gives it a more stately look. It also has a longer and slimmer bill. Tundra appears overall a chunkier bird, with a thicker and shorter neck and jizz therefore closer to Pink-footed. On Tundra the bill appears stubbier and more triangular with a thicker base. Bill pattern is a key difference: Tundra has a predominantly dark bill with an orange subterminal band, creating a usually quite distinctive pattern. Taiga has an orange bill with variable dark markings, though the pattern can vary and some Taiga are closer to Tundra. The structural differences are constant, though.

Karl J said:
Whats the difference ?

... and how can you tell which is which ?

Cheers
Hi Karl

Here are my thoughts on the subject!

Separation of Tundra (rossicus) and Taiga (fabilis) bean geese is not always possible. However the majority of birds occurring in the UK are identifiable to subspecies.

Generally speaking Tundra Bean Geese are quite small (approaching Pink-footed Goose in size) and Taiga Bean Geese are generally larger (approaching Greylag Goose in size). However there can be overlap in size between the two races (for example large male Tundra can overlap in size with a small female Taiga).

Tundra Bean Geese usually have a shorter thicker neck, more similar to the structure of a Pinkfooted Goose, whereas Taiga usually has a significantly longer neck.

Perhaps the key features for separating Tundra from Taiga bean goose is the bill. Tundra Bean Geese usually have a more reduced band of orange on the bill. Taiga usually shows more orange on the bill that generally points sharply back towards the bill base. However this feature can be quite variable between the two subspecies. The structure of the bill is very significant as the bill of Tundra Bean Goose is relatively short and chunky (more reminiscent of the bill of a Pinkfooted Goose) with an obvious swollen base to the lower mandible. The bill of Taiga Bean Goose is quite long tapering towards the tip, with a convex culmen. The head of Taiga Bean Goose appears to merge into the bill giving an overall ‘wedge of cheese’ structure, whereas in Tundra the bill looks more like it is ‘stuck on’!

Leg length can perhaps be a significant feature. The leg length of Tundra Bean Goose is very similar to that of Pinkfooted Goose, however according to BWP and my own field observations the leg length of Taiga Bean Goose is significantly longer than either of the former two species.

I have attached a some pics of both Taiga and Tundra Geese (not great quality) taken by me in North Cumbria during March 2004.

I hope this helps anyway.

ATB
Tristan

Attachments

• Taiga-Bean-Goose.jpg
    Taiga-Bean-Goose.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • Taiga-Bean-Goose3.jpg
    Taiga-Bean-Goose3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 885
  • Tundra-Bean-Goose3.jpg
    Tundra-Bean-Goose3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 857
Hi Tristan,
A masterful summary of the differences between Taiga and Tundra Bean Geese. I have nothing of consequence to add to this, except to stress the importance of bill structure as against colouration, which is variable (though usually a very good pointer to specific identity).
Harry

Thanks all ... tristan thats really helpful ... have to say when i looked in Collins before they both appeared to be exactly the same to me, but i can see the difference now.

I did another look today at Cantley (east from Burnthouse Lane footpath ... free cycle parking by the gate ;) ) at the flock you mention Tim, and from my notes i'm now happy they're Taiga Bean Geese for reasons other than 'cos someone said they are' but I'll prob go back again sometime to make sure i know what i'm talking about.

Cheers

Last edited:
Allen said:
Is Tundra commoner than Taiga in a UK context?
Hi Allen

I would suggest that away from the two main wintering flocks of Taiga Bean Geese (Cantley (Norfolk) and Fannyside Loch (Clyde)) that Tundra Bean Geese are the most likely to occur.

HTH
Tristan

Last edited:
Hi Karl

if you park at Buckenham and walk out past the mill and carry on carefully you can often get much better views of the geese, though a certain amount of wet feet/stalking can be required as they are very wary birds

beautiful when seen well though

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back