• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've booked my flights! India here we come!! (1 Viewer)

Just a comment on the High Commission using travel agents (who apparently charge a nice little fee!). I was reading the other day that India - one of, if not the largest, destinations for "out-sourcing" is now out-sourcing the jobs/work that is out-sourced to it. High Commission just folowing trends back home?

cheers
Gordon

Yep probably. Anyway, I think our situation is sorted, my friend who is the organiser of our trip is going down to the commission to get her own visa sorted and has offered to take our paperwork too. Hows that for service?! :)

Just got my visa. Joined the queue at 7am, they started handing out tickets for the counters at 8:30am, I got my ticket at 9:15, was able to hand my passport in at 10am, went away, came back at 10:40 and picked my passport up at 10:45. Could have been worse I suppose.

If you join the queue later, after about 8am I think, it seems they run out of tickets for the counters for that day, and you get given one for about a week later. I sat next to someone by the counters who was doing that and he was waiting for ages there, having already queued ages outside some days ago. So you really want to arrive comfortably before 8am. Or use a travel agent and pay extra. Or forget the whole idea and go somewhere a bit more sane.

Good luck!

Just got my visa. Joined the queue at 7am, they started handing out tickets for the counters at 8:30am, I got my ticket at 9:15, was able to hand my passport in at 10am, went away, came back at 10:40 and picked my passport up at 10:45. Could have been worse I suppose.

If you join the queue later, after about 8am I think, it seems they run out of tickets for the counters for that day, and you get given one for about a week later. I sat next to someone by the counters who was doing that and he was waiting for ages there, having already queued ages outside some days ago. So you really want to arrive comfortably before 8am. Or use a travel agent and pay extra. Or forget the whole idea and go somewhere a bit more sane.

Good luck!

It could have been a lot worse..... In Birmingham the counter opens at 930am, I arrived at 945am having taken the hour long train ride then walked across the city to arrive. The queue was well over an hour long long, at 950am they announced no more tickets would be handed out and to come back another day...! So I went home. Some people in the queue had come all the way down from Liverpool, taken the day off work, to be told this.
Once you obtain your ticket you then join the queue to to hand your passport in, then return after 4pm to pick-up your passport.

I have only come across 1 visa situation worse than this - at the Indian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur!

I have never been to India (and by the sounds of it am not likely to either, too much hassle!) but I have heard that they love their red tape and are pretty chaotic in that respect.

I noticed on Midlands Today earlier tonight. The top story featured long queues of people outside the Indian Consulate in Birmingham of people trying, and in most cases failing, to apply for visas due to the demand. Hmm, now there's a surprise!

Only three days to go now! We have our visas so are all set. After all the hassel of getting our visas I understand that the High Commission has now decided to accept postal applications again! Effin' typical! But who cares?! we have our visas so we are all set to go. :D

Yes,apparently after pressure from a number of quarters they have reversed the decision about postal visas so they are now available again as "normal". there are also delays though with a backlog having built up, so expect to wait 3+ weeks.

Sounds brill, looking forward to your trip report , I am still trying to get mine sorted from last January along with all the photos. Oh well one day I will get in from birding and complete it all

Cheers
ColD

Yes I got back today, nice to meet you Jo and Ian at Chambal!

I have to agree with Jo, my trip was also fantastic. I'll also be doing a trip report as soon as I can. Except that my photos won't be as good as Jo's. Especially of Tiger. I have a few of a Tiger's bum!

Re the Visa problem if you live in the Midlands I went to the Travel Agents on the list in Smethwick. No problem Visas back in a week. I suggest you ring them before attending.

Great report and an enjoyable read Richard, it certainly brought back a lot of memories, Hope Dalveer kept up the birdsong at Chambal !! :smoke:
Brill photos as well.

Cheers
ColD

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back