• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vancouver island (1 Viewer)

theparph

hullo folks, I am planning a trip to Vancouver island in early May
next year and I have failed to find a bird guide around the victoria area
to help us on the south of the island.
It would be great to have professional help for Sat 3rd / Sun 4th
at the start of our stay, however I seem unable to contact anyone
so far.
Does anybody know of a guide looking for a day or twos work in the
area mentioned?
thankyou
waine foster
Ceredigion
west wales
uk

Hi Waine and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the Information Wanted forum, as I think you may get a better response in there. I've also subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it.

Guday Waine,

I passed on your message to friends who live at Ganges. The town is on Salt Spring Island, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. They are not professional birders but are competent. They responded overnight to the effect that they have no idea what they will be doing in May. If, however, they are free, they would be happy to show another limey their local patch. So if you are still stuck in March, send me a personal message.

Dave

Incidentally I found that birding alone in B.C. was both productive and easy. No rain forests!

P.S. There are far more good birders in North America today than there were 40 years ago. Another approach would be to put a request for someone to meet up with you, during your visit. I would put it in the Washington State as well as the Canadian section. But wait till at least February??

A further thought: Both Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands are excellent locations for whale watching. Grey, Humpbacks and Killer have large passages. (O.K. Orcas are dolphins before a hundred corrections are sent.) I seem to remember dozens of Grey Whales in May, This may be of interest?

Last edited:
Does anybody know of a guide looking for a day or twos work in the
area mentioned?
thankyou
waine foster
Ceredigion
west wales
uk

Hi Waine,

I'm afraid I can't help you at all with the guide aspect of your trip, but I do have a suggestion for a location - hike the Galloping Goose trail in Sooke, just west of Victoria. When we were there, had a very confiding Barred Owl perched right along the path, in broad daylight! Lots of good places to stay in Sooke, as well.

There are a bunch of small city parks on the waterfront in Victoria, very good for Heerman's and other gulls. Those could be done easily without a guide.

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back