• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pages that need to be removed (1 Viewer)

That was fast. But I have another one:

Snow Finch
Snowfinch

both redirect to White-winged Snowfinch (but there are some of them around)

André

Fixed. The trick is that you cannot delete a completely empty page, so you have to fill in a couple of non-sence words first, and then you can delete it. However, I could not find these with a search, how did you get to them?

Niels

Fixed. The trick is that you cannot delete a completely empty page, so you have to fill in a couple of non-sence words first, and then you can delete it. However, I could not find these with a search, how did you get to them?

Niels

I was in another German Site checking out the birds, then clicked on the Category at the bottom to check through all the rest.

Well done Niels, I'll know that for future ones.

D

Shelby Farms Parks & Recreation (Memphis- The usual & error.

Category:Tennesse Typo in the category. I just created a properly spelled one (two e's at the end) in Category:United States. - DONE

Would it be possible to get a sticky somewhere reminding people not to use ampersands in article titles? Or maybe some kind of automated edit that silent replaces with "and" before these things get in the system?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jt

I've deleted the Tennessee one (I think LOL) but clicking on your link for Shelby Farms takes me to your new sheet (as a Re-direct), as does clicking on the 'old name' in the Alpha list.

Not sure what's going on there.

D

Hi jt

I've deleted the Tennessee one (I think LOL) but clicking on your link for Shelby Farms takes me to your new sheet (as a Re-direct), as does clicking on the 'old name' in the Alpha list.

Not sure what's going on there.

D

It is (I think) the same problem as is usual with the (illegal) use of "&" in titles- it creates a ghost redirect. Because this was in the wrong category, I think it has actually been destroyed now. Still comes up on search, though.

mmm.... and I was wondering if the full stop in J.N might be one of the hiccups?

D

I dont think so, because that part is visible still. I think it is the " sign that is bad, just as a & is bad.

Niels

I think we know that & signs are bad, see post #11-14 or so. This later example demonstrate that quotation marks does not work either, while periods do seem to work. Larger than (>) and smaller than (<) are out as well.

I thought: wouldn't it be a great thing if the very first post in the thread on "Template/format for all locations " could be used to summarize all the current recommendations? possibly copied onto a page in the Opus help system ..., or maybe the thread should just have a reference to the help page that summarizes the recommendations. No one is going to read 126 posts before they start making a new location page!

Cheers
Niels

Cheers
Niels

Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary (Cape St. Mary's, Newfoundland)

A duplicate entry hiding in the category inaccessible behind the & sign.

I can see two different entries:
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Cape_St._Mary's_Ecological_Reserve

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Cape_St._Mary's_Bird_Sanctuary(Cape_St._Marys,_Newfoundland)

Are you telling me that one is a duplicate of the other? Just want to make sure before deleting any of them. I am a little confused because they don't contain the dreaded & ?

thanks
Niels

PS the T&T one is not one I can do anything about at the moment, I am afraid.

Are you telling me that one is a duplicate of the other? Just want to make sure before deleting any of them. I am a little confused because they don't contain the dreaded & ?

The second one (with the duplicate title and "Newfoundland & Labrador" category) is surplus. I had created the first one as a stub to test the "Newfoundland" category, then I discovered that there was already a page there, just inaccessible from the main Category: Canada page because the N&L category page crashed on the &. All of the content is now present on the first page.

Last edited:
Are you all in agreement that http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Coot should be removed?

Yes.

Secondly, I have now removed the duplicate Cape St Mary entry.

Niels

Thanks, and sorry for accidentally creating two of them in the first place. I'll be sure to check the next time I find a category with &. (Although there may very well be more of these things with misidentified categories or none at all.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back