• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which prey - Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
Hello to all,

Last weekened (Oct. 2015) I was in North of Iran somewhere is mountainous area. It has been seen by me ... First I think it may be Imperial Eagle but I searhed in books and doubted about his tail. May I ask you help me to recognise it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 28
I can see why the dark colouration might make you think of Eastern Imperial Eagle but I see this as a Greater Spotted Eagle in juvenile plumage (uniformly fresh flight feathers with no moult and the classic s-shaped trailing edge to the wing). The wing formula and colouration, with darker coverts contrasting with paler primaries (with pale primary wedge) confirm it as a Greater rather than Lesser SE. Also the pale inner primary flash and carpal markings are good for Greater.

I can see why the dark colouration might make you think of Eastern Imperial Eagle but I see this as a Greater Spotted Eagle in juvenile plumage (uniformly fresh flight feathers with no moult and the classic s-shaped trailing edge to the wing). The wing formula and colouration, with darker coverts contrasting with paler primaries (with pale primary wedge) confirm it as a Greater rather than Lesser SE. Also the pale inner primary flash and carpal markings are good for Greater.

agree

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back