• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Magpie? (1 Viewer)

bart7777

I have just seen a brown feathered Magpie in Liverpool ,UK.Can anyone tell me anything about this very unusual bird.Thanks Paul.

No way to Blue Jay Way,lol.

Thanks for your reply ,but the Magpie was one of a pair travelling together and had all the characteristics of a magpie but where there should have been black feathers they were brown instead.Never seen one like it myself,it was near Speke retail park.I should have taken a photo.Doh!

It sounds like a colour mutation - I'm hopeless with such terminology, but it may be 'cinnamon'. My friend shot one once, and has it stuffed. I've seen Jackdaws with brown feathers instead of black, but never magpie. I've seen a completely white magpie once.

Keith.

the Magpie was one of a pair travelling together and had all the characteristics of a magpie but where there should have been black feathers they were brown instead.

I saw one exactly like this a few weeks ago. The brown was quite pale, almost beige. I had never seen one like it before either.

My friend shot one once, and has it stuffed.
so just because it's a different colour it instantly becomes a little curio someone can kill for their collection or amusement? how quaint. not that you necessarily agree with your friend's actions but i thought i should bring this up. a few people on these forums seem to have friends involved in the killing of wild animals for 'sport', seems kind of ironic.

so just because it's a different colour it instantly becomes a little curio someone can kill for their collection or amusement? how quaint. not that you necessarily agree with your friend's actions but i thought i should bring this up. a few people on these forums seem to have friends involved in the killing of wild animals for 'sport', seems kind of ironic.

Yes, my friend shot it - in fact he shoots lots of magpies, and he'd likely argue "why spare this one, because it's a different colour?" He calls it 'Pest control'.

A lot of my friends shoot magpies and are involved in conservation in other ways too.
I've other friends who don't shoot or hunt - but otherwise they're quite normal folk, and sometimes have been known to contribute to conservation too!
o:)

Keith.

Yes, my friend shot it - in fact he shoots lots of magpies, and he'd likely argue "why spare this one, because it's a different colour?" He calls it 'Pest control'.

A lot of my friends shoot magpies and are involved in conservation in other ways too.
I've other friends who don't shoot or hunt - but otherwise they're quite normal folk, and sometimes have been known to contribute to conservation too!
o:)

Keith.
i guess i don't share that point of view (and neither perhaps do you). i value magpies just as much as i value song thrushes or reed buntings for instance. i know they're everywhere and common as muck but i can't see any justification for shooting them, especially when people argue it is for 'conservation' purposes, as you mentioned (i get the feeling you're not convinced of this either). i find them really interesting and rather hansom birds. i always say locally they're are loads of magpies but there's also quite a few song thrushes, bullfinches, reed buntings and other smaller birds that aren't doing so well nationally and they're coping with the local magpie population just fine.

chakakakakaka.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back