• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Antonio Texas (1 Viewer)

gary1952

Second childhood and loving it.
Sparrows, but not sure the name,
Thanks guys for the help.

Attachments

• Resize for web 2.jpg
    Resize for web 2.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Resize for web.jpg
    Resize for web.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 85
Even if i've been twice in the USA for birding, i'm not expert about american birds.

So, can you explain to me why the sparrow is a White-crowned and not a Chipping? If I see a sparrow like that, I would certainly say it's a immature or winter-plumaged Chipping Sparrow, especially for the richer red color of the upperparts, the neater white wing-bars, the more pinkish-purple bill (not orange-yellow) and the cold-grey cast on the head, neck and underparts.

I'm really interested in your opinions and explanations. I never read about such a similarity between these two species, which are generally described as pretty different in the field...!

Thanks and ciao
Igor, Italy

I immediately thought Chipping Sparrow when I saw the picture so I too am very interested in what identifies it as White-crowned.

Structure alone, especially the long tail, eliminates Chipping. The indistinct eyeline and pale lores, and the unique diagonal (from this perspective) high crown line of the "crowned" sparrows, with no discernible auricular area, are good plumage points.

Structure alone, especially the long tail, eliminates Chipping. The indistinct eyeline and pale lores, and the unique diagonal (from this perspective) high crown line of the "crowned" sparrows, with no discernible auricular area, are good plumage points.
Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back