• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Piedmont Region of North Carolina (1 Viewer)

My wish is to have a person going to the Piedmont Region of North Carolina on Opus to be able to “see” easily the part of the state it refers to. The easiest and best way is to use a map that has the areas color-coded and the county names on it as the one linked below does. Something like this would be a great and quick visual aid and invaluable for the reader to refer back to as they read further.

I've found a particular map that I'd like to use on the "NC Pedia portion of the State Library site. It's found on the portion NC Regions by County. Scroll down and click on that map.

https://www.ncpedia.org/our-state-geography-snap-three

I think this falls within the "fair use" policy of the library, but I've emailed them to make sure and ask for permission to use it just to be safe.

My first impulse is to place it at, or near, the top of the page. It's my opinion it would serve as a quick, visual aid to easily illustrate where the Piedmont Region is situated in relation to the rest of the state. As well, it would show where, within the region, the various counties, that will be referenced at other places in the page, are located .

I'm asking everyone their opinion of doing this.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Barney

Here's another page with a map on it. I believe that all maps on the US gov sites are free to use if necessary.

Hi Barney

Here's another page with a map on it. I believe that all maps on the US gov sites are free to use if necessary.

I think you're probably right about the use of such things that are found on most government sites here in the US. Were it for personal use, I might be caught trying it, but I don't want to take a chance on casting any bad light on OPUS, so the effort at getting permission.

Permission was received to use the regions and counties map found on the NC Pedia portion of the NC State Library. It has been added to the page. If the map shown is clicked on, a larger, easier to read map will open.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back