• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusky Flycatcher? Denver, CO (1 Viewer)

barnswallow

Mid-may, Denver CO. These pictures are awful... I was standing pretty far away. The second I got closer it took off. :(! Sooo, I've been skimming over and over through the flycatcher section of my bird book, and it looks like a good few of them! I at first thought Gray, but it's plumage seemed too dark. Dusky seems too brownish, but it's my best guess. Heeeelp.

Thank you!

Attachments

• grayflycatcher.jpg
    grayflycatcher.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 104
  • grayflycatcher2.jpg
    grayflycatcher2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 97
  • grayflycatcher3.jpg
    grayflycatcher3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 103
  • grayflycatcher4.jpg
    grayflycatcher4.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 83
agreed on western wood-pewee. Dark overall, long primary projection, big bill with dark-tipped lower mandible, hint of yellow on lower belly.

but what about the whitish lores? Western wood-pewee's don't have those I don't think..

My National Geographic guide has two paintings of a Western Wood-Pewee. One is described as a "paler adult". It is also depicted as having whitish lores.

Best,
Jim

My National Geographic guide has two paintings of a Western Wood-Pewee. One is described as a "paler adult". It is also depicted as having whitish lores.

Best,
Jim

Ah... I must have a different Nat Geo guide then.. I have the Complete Birds of North America guide, and strangely enough, there is only one painting for the western wood-pewee. Most of the other birds have at least two or three paintings. But yes, this one painting of the Western Wood-pewee definitely does not have any whitish lores.. and that was throwing me off. I'm gonna go crack open some of my lesser-used guides! Thank you! :)

Ah... I must have a different Nat Geo guide then.. I have the Complete Birds of North America guide, and strangely enough, there is only one painting for the western wood-pewee.

Mine is the newest edition -- the "fully revised and updated" Fifth (2006). I also have the second edition, and like yours there is only one painting of Western Wood-Pewee in it.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back