• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous Flycatcher-thrush? - Cameroon (2 Viewers)

JuanJose

Switzerland
After four years, I am organizing the pictures I took during a birding trip in Cameroon (couldn't do it at the time and then I neglected for too long). I had a good local guide with me, but I am finding species in my pics that we didn't have in the checklists from the trip. There are two sightings in particular that are proving tricky for me to id.

Both were in the Campo Reserve area in the South department close to the border with Equatorial Guinea. The two sightings are from separate locations and seen on separate days at the end of March.

Sighting 1 (Picture attached to this post)

Individual seen at edge of a small forest clearing within a logging concession. I was originally thinking this is an Ansorge's Greenbul because of the rufous colouration of the underparts and the visible eye ring. However, it seems the head/crown should be grey and the underparts greyer and duller going by the pictures I see in ebird (Ansorge's Greenbul - Eurillas ansorgei - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird) and what I gather from the description of the species in birds of the world.

Now I am thinking that it is more likely to be Rufous Flycatcher Thrush instead because of the underparts colour, but the visible whitish eye ring is throwing me off as I don't see it in the pictures of this species in ebird (Rufous Flycatcher-Thrush - Stizorhina fraseri - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird) and its not mentioned in the description of the species in birds of the world.

Attachments

• 0509_South_Cameroon_Specimen1.jpg
    0509_South_Cameroon_Specimen1.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
(putting this in a separate post in case its easier for people to comment and to not confuse the pictures)

Sighting 2 (Pictures attached to this post)
Individual seen at forest edge along an unpaved road within forest. I have the same issue here, I tend to think this is also a Rufous Flycatcher-thrush but it also seems to have an eye ring that is confusing me.

As I am not familiar with African birds, any help with IDing these individuals is highly appreciated :)

Attachments

• 0596_South_Cameroon_Specimen2a.jpg
    0596_South_Cameroon_Specimen2a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 0597_South_Cameroon_Specimen2b.jpg
    0597_South_Cameroon_Specimen2b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
After four years, I am organizing the pictures I took during a birding trip in Cameroon (couldn't do it at the time and then I neglected for too long). I had a good local guide with me, but I am finding species in my pics that we didn't have in the checklists from the trip. There are two sightings in particular that are proving tricky for me to id.

Both were in the Campo Reserve area in the South department close to the border with Equatorial Guinea. The two sightings are from separate locations and seen on separate days at the end of March.

Sighting 1 (Picture attached to this post)

Individual seen at edge of a small forest clearing within a logging concession. I was originally thinking this is an Ansorge's Greenbul because of the rufous colouration of the underparts and the visible eye ring. However, it seems the head/crown should be grey and the underparts greyer and duller going by the pictures I see in ebird (Ansorge's Greenbul - Eurillas ansorgei - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird) and what I gather from the description of the species in birds of the world.

Now I am thinking that it is more likely to be Rufous Flycatcher Thrush instead because of the underparts colour, but the visible whitish eye ring is throwing me off as I don't see it in the pictures of this species in ebird (Rufous Flycatcher-Thrush - Stizorhina fraseri - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird) and its not mentioned in the description of the species in birds of the world.
Sighting 1: plausible

(putting this in a separate post in case its easier for people to comment and to not confuse the pictures)

Sighting 2 (Pictures attached to this post)
Individual seen at forest edge along an unpaved road within forest. I have the same issue here, I tend to think this is also a Rufous Flycatcher-thrush but it also seems to have an eye ring that is confusing me.

As I am not familiar with African birds, any help with IDing these individuals is highly appreciated :)
No this is a greenbul, perhaps Eastern mountain greenbul/olive-breasted mountain greenbul if it's there. (Eye seems pale etc)

Thanks!

I think you mean western mountain greenbul, right? I don't think it can be that as this was in a lowland region at sea level and not in the Mount Cameroon area.
I don't know which species occur there. I only have the east Africa guide to hand... I also know the taxonomy of many of these things is confused.

(Edit: the point is it's a greenbul)

I don't know which species occur there. I only have the east Africa guide to hand... I also know the taxonomy of many of these things is confused.

(Edit: the point is it's a greenbul)
I see your point! thanks for the inputs.

Update: I have asked an expert in the region. He confirms that the photos are certainly of greenbuls (as you mentioned @THE_FERN) and because of the strong rufous tones and yellowish centre of belly, he would go for Little Grey Greenbul (Eurillas gracilis) rather than Ansorge’s. He did find odd the strength of the rufous on the breast, which in his opinion may be an artefact of the photo rather than the bird.

Last edited:
I see your point! thanks for the inputs.

Update: I have asked an expert in the region. He confirms that the photos are certainly of greenbuls (as you mentioned @THE_FERN) and because of the strong rufous tones and yellowish centre of belly, he would go for Little Grey Greenbul (Eurillas gracilis) rather than Ansorge’s. He did find odd the strength of the rufous on the breast, which in his opinion may be an artefact of the photo rather than the bird.
Yes I thought the photo probably misrepresented the actual colours. It's not unusual of course

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back