• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Wagon Wheel Gap, CO, USA (1 Viewer)

RCHines

My brother and I were hiking back up into the Rio Grande National Forrest. Of course, while I had my camera out I didn't see anything, but when it as in the pack, the Steller Jay's, Flicker's and every other manner of birds was out. So back deep up a creek I see this guy and it poses for me, but my camera decides it doesn't want to focus well and so my two "best" pictures are still "meh."

I don't have a clue what it is to be honest. Maybe a vireo or a warbler of some sort? It was very small and had a single note chirp it kept repeating. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• unknownbird2.jpg
    unknownbird2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 55
  • unknownbird.jpg
    unknownbird.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
It is an Empidonax flycatcher, and in Colorado, with that much yellow below, probably a Cordilleran Flycatcher.

Pretty sure Pacific-slope is out of range there. "Western" flycatcher was my first impression due to yellowish hint, size, bill, eye teardrop and impression of a wider bird.

It's 99.99% going to be Cordilleran in this context. Probably 100% ;)

Thanks everyone! I agree with that as well having looked them up. Saw another one today and got a better photo

Attachments

• Flycatchersmall.jpg
    Flycatchersmall.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back