• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN664 vs Ziess, Leica, Swarovski? (1 Viewer)

Mike VS

I'm new to this site so I apologize if this has already been asked and I didnt find it searching the old posts. So here goes...

How does the Kowa TSN663/664 with the ED glass compare to the Zeiss Diascope 65, Leica 62 APO and Swarovski 65HD?

I have read multiple reviews on how the Kowa 77 & 88's with the Prominar Pure Fluorite Lens do against these but for some reason cant find much information on the TSN663/664. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I had the TSN663, Pentax 65ED and Nikon ED60 III. The Kowa was clearly better at high magnification with an excellent star test. Sold it when I got the TSN883. I have never spent time with a Euro-scope though. Price difference in Japan is just too obcene. The Kowa 883 is actually cheaper here than the 60mm mid-size Euro-scopes!

Rick

The regular sale price is about $2100 but some dealers here run occasional "factory specials" offering 1-2 units for ~$1800. Eyepieces extra of course.

Rick

I'm new to this site so I apologize if this has already been asked and I didnt find it searching the old posts. So here goes...

How does the Kowa TSN663/664 with the ED glass compare to the Zeiss Diascope 65, Leica 62 APO and Swarovski 65HD?

I have read multiple reviews on how the Kowa 77 & 88's with the Prominar Pure Fluorite Lens do against these but for some reason cant find much information on the TSN663/664. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

After careful side by side comparison, the Kowa 664 was noticibly brighter and sharper than the Zeiss Diascope 65. Also, the Zeiss seemed to have a yellowish hue to it, I wasn't very impressed with it.

The Swaro was about even with the Kowa in terms of brighness and sharpness but I liked the Swaro focus ring better.

I ended up with the Kowa 664 because I couldn't justify the price difference on two scopes that were the optical equal of eachother. I can't figure out why it isn't more popular...it is amongst the best in its class!

Russ

After careful side by side comparison, the Kowa 664 was noticibly brighter and sharper than the Zeiss Diascope 65. Also, the Zeiss seemed to have a yellowish hue to it, I wasn't very impressed with it.

The Swaro was about even with the Kowa in terms of brighness and sharpness but I liked the Swaro focus ring better.

I ended up with the Kowa 664 because I couldn't justify the price difference on two scopes that were the optical equal of eachother. I can't figure out why it isn't more popular...it is amongst the best in its class!

Russ

Sounds like the Zeiss you looked at was faulty. I haver a 65 and it is immaculate. A brilliant piece of kit.

Russ

Sounds like the Zeiss you looked at was faulty. I have a 65 and it is immaculate. A brilliant piece of kit.

Sounds like the Zeiss you looked at was faulty. I have a 65 and it is immaculate. A brilliant piece of kit.

It is possible. My friend who owns it bought it from ebay so he didnt get the chance to compare and choose... The yellowish hue was only noticable when compared to the kowa and the swaro, by itself it might not have been noticable. The guy who owns it claims it improves contrast... no thanks, I'd rather see accurate colours! That's the problem with comparisons I guess, there is quality variation even within the same models.

Cheers!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back