• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida in November (1 Viewer)

angelquasar

I shall be visiting Florida in a couple of weeks and will be birding throughout the state.I would be grateful for any information regarding the prevalence of biting mosquitoes at this time and on which repellents any of you have found to be particularly effective.

Mosquitos are killed down by the first good frost. We don't see one of those till at least late December, If we do at all here in Tampa. I use the regular OFF Skintastic. Several pleasant scents available. 5% Deet.

Winter is the dry season in the Everglades, so most locations there should be tolerable. If you want to take the Snake Bight Trail, however, be REALLY prepared. I don't mess around when it comes to mosquito repellent - the more Deet, the better. Don't bother with the non-toxic stuff! ;-)

I shall be visiting Florida in a couple of weeks and will be birding throughout the state.I would be grateful for any information regarding the prevalence of biting mosquitoes at this time and on which repellents any of you have found to be particularly effective.

There will be mossies, some areas worse than others; Everglades generally worst.

Walmart (I know!) sell "Repel" Sportsmen formula, 29% DEET, which I've found the best and a recent friend of mine visiting from the IOM will confirm.
His UK stuff he brought was ineffective, despite boasts of 'jungle formula' on the tin.
More DEET is not best, I've used 100% stuff, which lasts for no time.

Just got back from Florida (mostly Orlando area) and didn't find mossies a real problem. Having said that both my girlfriend and I did get bitten a number of times while walking through wetlands, especially at dusk.
Can't remember exactly what insect repellant we used although I can tell you it was Walgreens own brand and non-scented. I would not recommend it as it seemed to attract insects.

Hope you have a great trip.

When we visited the Everglades in November a few years ago, there were tons of mosquitoes. (According to the locals, the number was comparatively low, so I can't imagine how bad the mosquitoes get at other times - and we live near Houston!)
I used 100% Deet, bought at the store in the Everglades park, and I didn't get a single bite. The repellent did melt part of my binocular strap, though.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back