• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ptarmigan in Cairngorms (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks,

I'm off to Scotland next week for some days birding.

Was going to the Caperwatch but reading a recent thread I have decided I might just be wasting my time.

So to Ptarmigan watch instead!

Has anybody any advice please about potential of seeing Ptarmingan from the Cairngorm Fenicular Railway? Was thinking of joining the Ranger walk at the top in the hope that going higher might be beneficial.

Maybe there is somewhere better you might be able to suggest.

Cheers

Should be some around mid station of railway or not further past that point .not to far a walk . Ring ouzel easy here

Hoping to the Ranger walk myself on Thursday. Too early for Dotterel??

Rich

Just looked at booking onto one of these myself and it wont let me book anything before Friday :-C. Might just go up anyway and spend a couple of hours with the scope at the top....unless anyone can tell me that's not worth the trip/cost.

Just looked at booking onto one of these myself and it wont let me book anything before Friday :-C. Might just go up anyway and spend a couple of hours with the scope at the top....unless anyone can tell me that's not worth the trip/cost.

I went to the summit and viewed from the cafe and saw ptarmigan, ring ouzel, and a small flock of snow buntings foraging around the car park, the only problem is , as you probably know they are difficult to pick out,but I was lucky to see a few in flight, hope this helps

I went to the summit and viewed from the cafe and saw ptarmigan, ring ouzel, and a small flock of snow buntings foraging around the car park, the only problem is , as you probably know they are difficult to pick out,but I was lucky to see a few in flight, hope this helps

Cheers andm.

Thanks for info all. Can't find on railway site if o can get off at mid station. Any ideas on this one please

The funicular goes straight to the summit, it only takes a few minutes , I think you can walk up to the summit, but you are not allowed to use the funicular to go back down

Thanks andm,

I wasn't being as "durhy" as I thought then by not seeing anything. Will have to investigate why there is a mid station if you can't use it then? Hey ho.

During the ski season you can get off mid way to access the relevant runs. In the summer it goes straight to the top station. You cannot get out of the top station complex outside of the skiing season. As folk have said you can sometimes see ptarmigan from the café, but there is no guarantee. If you are anything of a hill walking then walking from the ski car park around to Coire an t'sneachda will yield ptarmigan, and get you aware from the hoards.

With a bit of patience you can usually get them by just viewing from the top station. Ideally book on a ranger walk for a better chance.

Ptarmigan on show from the café today, plus Ring Ouzel. I watched a couple walk up from the car park, I was surprised - it took them less than an hour and they weren't your typical mountaineers, just a couple out for a walk. So, if you want to get onto the plateau that might be your best option (they took the path that goes up the ridge to the left of the café as you look from the bottom).

Thanks Craig H,

Brilliant info.

Lets hope the P's are still about when I get there next week.

Rich, I think the Pass of Cattle may be a bit too far out for me as heading from Cairngorm area to Oban and Mull. Thanks for suggestion though.

Thanks andm,

I wasn't being as "durhy" as I thought then by not seeing anything. Will have to investigate why there is a mid station if you can't use it then? Hey ho.

Sorry my mistake I wasn't aware there was a mid-station, as I went after the ski-season, :t:

A friend of mine went up the train this morning and saw a pair of Ptarmigan so close to the viewing area he had to lean over the wall to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back