• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BrianJ - What scope? (1 Viewer)

46brianj

Hi to all out there. I am new to birdwatching and am considering buying my first scope. Is the Celestron Regal 65 F-ED a good choice for a beginner? I live in the north-east of England and want to use it spotting sea-birds from my caravan on the coast. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the Scope forum and subscribed you to the thread so you don't lose track of it. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some advice for you.

Caravan at newbiggin by any chance?

You might have landed on your feet here :p

celestron is decent, but they changing the model, so dont pay top dollar for a new one atmo. There was one on gumtree for sale....

Happy to show you some wide angle eps, which are essential for sea viewing.

Hi woodhornbirder. No the caravan is at Warkworth above the rocks at Birling Carr but I live in Newcastle. The Celestron is £320 at Wex at the moment but I have also considered used Kowa and Pentax 65. Thanks for the offer of showing me some wide angle eyepieces.

Pentax 65.

good looking scope and high quality but they are rare in uk (

its more light weight than the celestron. similar optical performance i believe. IF you can find a pentax for ~250, then its a good buy. However i dont think you will find one below 300.

I can show you the scope i use, and see what you think of it....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back