• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and request. (1 Viewer)

ramspan

Greetings from sunny Los Angeles,California. As a soon to be retired Angeleno I am just getting serious about birding.I have the Stibley and Peterson guides, but these are organized by species. I remember from about twenty years ago, my mother had an excellent book for novices organized by color, ie: if you had a predominately yellow bird you could see all yellow birds and find the right species. Could someone remember the title or if it is still in print. TIA.

Ramspan, hello and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'm not familiar with the guide you are speaking of but I would love to get my hands on a couple of them if anyone else knows about them. Believe me, if it is still out there someone here will know.

Hi ramspan,

Someone gave me a copy of one set out just like this in New Mexico. It's by Adventure Publications and is for the state of NM - I have also seen them for other states so I assume that there must be one for California. Unfortunately in my opinion they aren't great guides as they only cover what they consider common birds and that basically seems to boil down to pretty much garden/parkland birds. Anyway have a look at them and see what you think yourself.

Luke

Thanks Luke!

streatham said:
Hi ramspan,

Someone gave me a copy of one set out just like this in New Mexico. It's by Adventure Publications and is for the state of NM - I have also seen them for other states so I assume that there must be one for California. Unfortunately in my opinion they aren't great guides as they only cover what they consider common birds and that basically seems to boil down to pretty much garden/parkland birds. Anyway have a look at them and see what you think yourself.

Luke

Thanks for the reply. The book I remember was pretty much as comprehensive a s the Peterson guide from the late 70's. They were both equally thick and illustrated. I lost track of my copy over the years and moves. Too bad, it was a very easy approach for the newbie. regards, ramspan.

Thanks!

KCFoggin said:
Ramspan, hello and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'm not familiar with the guide you are speaking of but I would love to get my hands on a couple of them if anyone else knows about them. Believe me, if it is still out there someone here will know.

It's very nice to be welcomed into such an obliging community! I look forward to learning much and contributing what I can. As I mentioned in a reply to Streatham's welcome, the book I remember was a full field guide, not just a booklet on local birds. I probably still have it, packed away in some anonymous box in the attic. Anyone who has moved three or four times knows how that goes. Happy to be here, ramspan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back