• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern ID (Scotland) (1 Viewer)

Jamvol12

Here in southern Scotland I mostly just see Sandwich Terns, but I picked this bird out this morning due to its slower, more graceful flight. I couldn't see a black tip on the bill, so by my reckoning that makes it an Arctic Tern - but is it really that simple? Apart from one sighting of a Common Tern a few years ago I only have experience with Sandwich Terns; so I thought it best to be cautious before potentially digging out the life-list ;)...

Confirmation (or correction) greatly appreciated. Pics were taken in low light and have been slightly adjusted.

Attachments

• Tern1.jpg
    Tern1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Tern2.jpg
    Tern2.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Tern3.jpg
    Tern3.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Tern4.jpg
    Tern4.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Tern5.jpg
    Tern5.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 53
Arctic Tern - note the all red bill, overall small appearance and lack of a dark wedge to the wing which rules out Common

dig it out, it is an arctic tern. careful - some common terns don't have a black bill tip. it's more the slightly shorter bill, slightly darker underparts, making the white chin contrast to the more grey on breast and belly, translucent white wing from below (in common just inner wing), sharply demarcated black edge to primaries.

dig it out, it is an arctic tern. careful - some common terns don't have a black bill tip. it's more the slightly shorter bill, slightly darker underparts, making the white chin contrast to the more grey on breast and belly, translucent white wing from below (in common just inner wing), sharply demarcated black edge to primaries.

Cheers, Lou. I figured it wouldn't be that simple... it never is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back