• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is best? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the extra info Niels. T-Paul, my husband and I talked about possibly buying the Canon that comes with two smaller lenses and buying the Tamron for the distance. I think I will go and check them out at the camera shop and if I can't make up my mind, I will tell Gene to 'surprise' me with my birthday present. I'm sure I will be happy with any of the Canons and lens combos. The sensor will give me much better photos than what I'm getting now and if I can learn to use it, I'm sure I will be happy with the quality for my blogs and chronicling the flora and fauna of my property in San Diego. I look forward to my new toy!

As for a lens the obvious choice to me if you have the funds is the new Tamron 150-600mm. Will work well with either body and has a bit more reach than any other (sensibly priced) lens on the market.
If its reach you want then I would go along with this. It is heavier than the 100-400 but has a better image stabilisation (around 4 stops) so hand holdable even at 600mm. I have shot nothing but Canon 'L' lenses (400/5.6, 300/2.8 IS....) for years but picked up a Tammy 150-600 a few months ago and it is a superb value for money lens.

If its reach you want then I would go along with this. It is heavier than the 100-400 but has a better image stabilisation (around 4 stops) so hand holdable even at 600mm. I have shot nothing but Canon 'L' lenses (400/5.6, 300/2.8 IS....) for years but picked up a Tammy 150-600 a few months ago and it is a superb value for money lens.
Thanks for the input Roy. IS is a good thing for me--getting older and shakier. I don't think a small weight difference will be a big deal--the whole set up is going to be much heavier than what I'm used to. I am now doing much more civilized birding and not meandering on a forest or jungle trail for hours. I walk mostly on paved paths or roads for shorter distances and I will still have the small camera for longer, more rugged days.

Sue, 90% of the photos in my gallery are handheld with a Cannon 100-400 and a Canon 1D Mark III, this combination weighs about 7 pounds. The 7D and Cannon 100-400 would weigh in at about 4 pounds. Hope this helps.

Sue, 90% of the photos in my gallery are handheld with a Cannon 100-400 and a Canon 1D Mark III, this combination weighs about 7 pounds. The 7D and Cannon 100-400 would weigh in at about 4 pounds. Hope this helps.
Hi Lisa,
I notice you and the Black Fox both have 1Ds and awesome photos. Your Hummingbird Wars shots are great. You really get some good species in your area of AZ, don't you?
Sue

Hi All,
I have ordered a Canon 7D with 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. We are looking for the best deal on a Tamron and will get one of those. Thanks so much, I'm sure I will have fun.
Sue

Hi Lisa,
I notice you and the Black Fox both have 1Ds and awesome photos. Your Hummingbird Wars shots are great. You really get some good species in your area of AZ, don't you?
Sue

Thanks, Sue. We do have some fantastic birds here in Southern AZ. I'm hoping to be living and traveling full time in an RV, the birds will be missed. But am hoping to see more amazing birds in the rest of the country.

I'm sure you will really enjoy the new set-up.

Enjoy the new camera Sue. I recommend a third party manual for it-have a look on Amazon and see what gets good ratings. Learn the camera inside out and really get to know the autofocus system.

There may be a learning curve so do not be disheartened if you don't nail it straight away and ask about anything you are not sure about.

Hi All,
I have ordered a Canon 7D with 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. We are looking for the best deal on a Tamron and will get one of those. Thanks so much, I'm sure I will have fun.
Sue
Oops, Make that a 70D!

Last edited:
Enjoy the new camera Sue. I recommend a third party manual for it-have a look on Amazon and see what gets good ratings. Learn the camera inside out and really get to know the autofocus system.

There may be a learning curve so do not be disheartened if you don't nail it straight away and ask about anything you are not sure about.
Thanks Danny, I will.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back