• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldcrest coming to garden peanut feeder? (1 Viewer)

KenM

I've been using feeders in the garden for 30+years and have had an array of species coming to the peanuts, however until 3 weeks ago I'd never encountered Goldcrest at the feeder (and I frequently get them almost daily during the Winter months).

It's made at least 3 visits (that I've seen), and succeeded in taking splinters of peanut whilst having to compete against the larger Tits (albeit it kinda sneaks in...generally when there's no competition).

This got me thinking, is this a new phenomena...or is it more widespread and local in the country at large that I've been blissfully unaware of?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2090347.jpeg     Def GC1..jpeg
    P2090347.jpeg Def GC1..jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 28
I did have one on my feeders a few years back. Since the "beast from the east" they seem pretty scarce locally.

I can remember many, many years ago flicking through a Birding magazine and seeing an image sent in from a reader in Hants., of a Firecrest on a peanut feeder...now that would be kinda special.

Cheers

Last edited:
My mother had a Treecreeper on her feeder many years back, not sure how common or regular that is.

What a great record! Amazing how birds thought of as being totally insectivorous, if needs be can become more opportunist...although there may have invertebrate life on the feeder.

I can recall in the distant past during mid-Summer a Tree Creeper persistently flycatching underneath the lower limbs of an old oak tree.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back