• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular in "The Bridge on the River Kwai." (1 Viewer)

ceasar

Last night I had occasion to see, once again, on the Turner Channel, "The Bridge on the River Kwai." It never bores me. I believe the novel it is based on, written by Pierre Boulle is titled, "The Bridge Over the River Kwai."

Toward the end of the movie a small binocular used by Major Warden (Jack Hawkins) from his lookout high above the bridge plays a critical role in the ultimate destruction of the newly built bridge ultimately turning the well designed plans designed to make this destruction a heroic endeavor into the "Madness, Madness!" of Major Clifton's (James Donald) lament at the end of the film.

During the night, when the river was running high the charges to destroy the bridge were put in place and the wiring to the detonater strung out through the river to the shore. The men settle down and sleep till dawn but wake then to find that the river is now running at a low level and the detonators wires are exposed to view in various places on the river bed.

Major Warden, to his horror, looking through his little binocular from high above also can see this and he watches the inevitable ending of the enterprise through it as it unravels and he ultimately contributes to it from the information he is getting from his close up view. (Unlike most fictitious views shown through a binocular in a movie, this is an accurate portrayal of an actual view. It is a small, narrow, circular view limited to the center of the movie screen.)

The binocular appears to be an old 6 x 30 Zeiss or Bausch and Lomb Porro Prism, with oval prism housings, except that the objective lenses seem smaller to me than 30mm. It shows much use and wear and is authentic in appearance and small enough to be held with one hand and is shown being used in that manner on occasion. I don't know what kind of binocular it was. Does anybody have an idea?

Also, I was wondering if anybody else has found their curiosity about binoculars stimulated by their use in movies or television?

Cordially,
Bob

But they never show them properly. You see the perosn pull huge porro binocular to their face, then you see the view with the figure 8 pattern and a black around it, the wrong view that we never see. It is just some camera trick with a stencil, or added after developing.

But they never show them properly. You see the perosn pull huge porro binocular to their face, then you see the view with the figure 8 pattern and a black around it, the wrong view that we never see. It is just some camera trick with a stencil, or added after developing.

Not in this movie, Tero.

What you see on the screen here (showing what the Major is looking at through them) is just as I have described it above. It is a small circular image centered in the middle of the movie screen, not in any way panoramic but very realistically limited by the binoculars FOV. It is exactly the type of image an experienced binocular user would expect. Not at all what you describe. It may have been manipulated to show it in this manner in order to show it's authenticity. And the binocular shown being used is a very petite porro prism. (I'd like to get one like it!!;))

Who ever finally edited the photography in this movie knew and understood how a binocular worked!

Bob

Last edited:
..... Does anybody have an idea?

Also, I was wondering if anybody else has found their curiosity about binoculars stimulated by their use in movies or television?

Cordially,
Bob
Haven´t seen the "The Bridge..." for years, but will watch out for it. And yes, Bob, whenever I see a pair of binos in a movie I insist on rewinding to try and identify them (much to the irritation of Mrs. S.). I can only rarely manage to identify them correctly, but as discussed on some other thread I´m pretty sure Angelina Jolie was packing a pair of Canon IS binos in "Lara Croft" (although the "view" through them was a load of digitised Space-Invaders nonsense). And I have no idea why we were watching Lara Croft.

Not in this movie, Tero.

What you see on the screen here (showing what the Major is looking at through them) is just as I have described it above. It is a small circular image centered in the middle of the movie screen, not in any way panoramic but very realistically limited by the binoculars FOV. It is exactly the type of image an experienced binocular user would expect.
Who ever finally edited the photography in this movie knew and understood how a binocular worked!

Bob

There is a similar accurate representation of a binocular image in the scene showing Col. Saito (Sessue Hayakawa) using what appears to be a narrow field 7 x 50 binocular to watch from a distance the conversation between Col. Nicholson, briefly allowed out of the punishment "oven", and Major Clipton.

I also watched the movie on Thursday night and when I saw those binoculars I thought they looked familiar, sort of like some of the binoculars in that long picture list on that other thread.
And the view shown looking through those binoculars in 'The Bridge...' certainly was narrow.
I forgot the actress's name in the Alfred Hitchcock movie 'Notorious'. One part shows her at a horse race track holding some binoculars while talking to Cary Grant. I thought they looked interesting and wondered what some 'experts' here would say what they were.

Last edited:
I seem to recall the last time I saw this movie I thought they looked like Zeiss 6X30's but also could have been old 6X24's. I don't think they had a Bausch and Lomb style housing. Could also have been any one of a number of English 6X30's such as Kershaw all of which utilized Zeiss style screw-in objective lens tubes. In WW II 6X30 was pretty much standard infantry binocular for the Allies and the Germans while the Japanese had a 6X24 with a 9 deg FOV. Binoculars in movies I am trying to identify are: 1. Binoculars used by James Stewart in Hitchcock's Rear Window. Having a Bausch and Lomb style body and being kept in a black US military style case they like US WW II 7X50's except for their enormous size - appears to be 60 mm objective. Could be 7X50's, though, just cinematically made to appear larger. 2. Robert Redford's binoculars in Spy Games are really interesting. First he uses a vintage Zeiss-style 6X30 or 24 (really small objective looks more like 24 mm) which although similar to Zeiss I'm pretty sure is not. Actually it looks WW II Japanese although that seems unlikely. But talk about unlikely in a later scene Redford uses different binoculars which are clearly, of all things, Porro II's. They're Ross, Zeiss or Leitz but I can't tell which. Definitely not Barr and Strouds. Regarding Barr and Strouds I,m pretty sure that in the Longest Day they accurately show the Brits using Barr and Stroud CF 41's with the big Admiralty arrows on them.

Last edited:
"...I insist on rewinding to try and identify them..." (Sancho). And I thought it was just me with this foible (much to the irritation of Mrs. B). Not only binoculars but cameras as well, and aeroplanes (airplanes) and cars too. In a recent UK advert, there was a 1950s/60s street scene, in the left foreground of which was a car I didn't recognise (a wholly intolerable state of affairs for me); I had to know what it was. If I can identify a Short Seamew (an old Fleet Air Arm aircraft) just by the shape of its cockpit, I wasn't going to be beaten by a mere car, however rare... It was an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 234 of which only 803 were made between 1955 & 1958; why would advertisers choose such a rarity? Or didn't they know? I'd only ever seen one in my lifetime, when I was in school uniform. But then, because we are birdwatchers, anxious to identify fleeting glimpses, maybe it's in the blood? My excuse is an insatiable curiosity. My wife says I'm just a sad old grump with nothing better to do, and I suspect she may be right.

"...I insist on rewinding to try and identify them..." (Sancho). And I thought it was just me with this foible (much to the irritation of Mrs. B). Not only binoculars but cameras as well, and aeroplanes (airplanes) and cars too. In a recent UK advert, there was a 1950s/60s street scene, in the left foreground of which was a car I didn't recognise (a wholly intolerable state of affairs for me); I had to know what it was. If I can identify a Short Seamew (an old Fleet Air Arm aircraft) just by the shape of its cockpit, I wasn't going to be beaten by a mere car, however rare... It was an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 234 of which only 803 were made between 1955 & 1958; why would advertisers choose such a rarity? Or didn't they know? I'd only ever seen one in my lifetime, when I was in school uniform. But then, because we are birdwatchers, anxious to identify fleeting glimpses, maybe it's in the blood? My excuse is an insatiable curiosity. My wife says I'm just a sad old grump with nothing better to do, and I suspect she may be right.

Oh, it's not just Sancho and you, James. I do it too. Perhaps proximity to the Irish Sea has an effect ;)

I try to make a note and go back and check later though I'll check on my own. Birds. Animals. Cars. Aircraft. Clearly the old hunter must identify the prey!

The other thing is I'll pickup items that are only in there for a few frames or in the background. My wife misses them but I suspect that another birder/ex male hunter on the savanna thing. "Hey Ogg, wot that!" or "Is that a juvi Northern Shrike in that bush?"

But I do have the geeky "point out the error of their ways" problem. The Eurasian Collared Dove on the soundtrack is perhaps the worst one in period UK drama. e.g. the most recent Poirot has a 1930s garden scene with the old Collard Dove banging out the "U-niii-ted, U-niii-ted" song on tranquilizers (as they do). And of course I point out they didn't have them in the UK until 1955 and then only a pair or two. I think my earliest spot for the ECD is in the early 1800s in Jane Austen's Emma (deliberately added FX) and the 1700s in Oliver Goldsmith She Stoops to Conquer (caught on the vocals sound track and not added as FX!). Wifie rolls her eyes. Of course now they're common all across the UK in summer so if you want a summery suburban garden sound they're the obvious choice.

Oh, was I ranting again? Sorry ....

Last edited:
Kevin, That "rolls her eyes" look is so familiar! My wife says there's no hope for me. Even the grandchidren look at each other with a 'here he goes again' knowing glance. Okay, so maybe I've started compiling an A to Z of things which irritate/obsess me; perfectly laudable, I'd say (I may even write a book). Like the synopsis for a film on TV recently, about "the British flying core" (sic) (Royal Flying Corps) in World War I. Or dolly birds in Chester city centre at midnight, pubbing & clubbing, bare arms, bare legs, staggering in high heels, in sub-zero temperatures; what's that about? Is the world going mad, or is it just me? (a purely rhetorical question). My wife 'switches off' when I tell her important news like "I saw my first Nuthatch in the garden today". Still, I do win sometimes, such as when I'd put food out for the birds after several inches of snow had fallen, my better half informed me "Those awful Penguins are back again, eating everything on sight"; with polite condescension, I replied, "My dear, I think you mean Pigeons." Had they genuinely been Penguins, it would have made the Guinness Book of Records, not just Bird Forum...

Here's a fun movie bino sighting. I noticed it on TV, then, to see if I had really seen what I thought I had, I checked out the official movie trailer. In the official trailer for the new John Travolta movie, "From Paris With Love," in which he plays some kind of macho bad cop with an artillery fetish (geez that's never been done before), there's a brief snippet of Travolta looking out a window with a pair of reverse porros. It occurs at about 1:34 of the 1:43 trailer. They look a bit like Nikon ATB's, but not quite. Kudos to the first to ID them.

Anyway, here's the fun part: Travolta is looking through THE WRONG END!! :-O

Here's the You Tube address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhTJgenG5Y

Mark

(The other thing is I'll pickup items that are only in there for a few frames or in the background. My wife misses them but I suspect that another birder/ex male hunter on the savanna thing. "Hey Ogg, wot that!" or "Is that a juvi Northern Shrike in that bush?")

Nice to know I' m not the only one Kevin. Drives my wife and kids nuts.

I tend to look for which binos presenters are using on nature programmes, especially if the presenters are well known/qualified. I only make a mental note, but Swaro and Leica seem the most popular choice in both 8×32 and 7×42.

What a sad bunch we are!!

On the subject of binoculars in films, last night I watched a BBC 4 documentary on the circumnavigation (in 21 days) of the globe by the Graf Zeppelin in August 1929. In this amazing film many of the 20 passengers (including one woman) and 40 crew (including the cook!) were using their binoculars as the huge airship flew around the world at an average 75mph, sometimes as low as a few hundred feet. Everyone had porros except for one officer who clearly sported a roof prism model, looking very much like a Hensoldt if I'm not mistaken (I have the Hensoldt 7x42 Dialyt, which it resembled). The crew were of course German, so the likelihood of having a Hensoldt is high. This officer's must have been new 'cutting edge' technology at that time. Most people seem to think roof prism bin's are a relatively recent invention, but they've been around for a long time...

The movie "Seabiscuit" is replete with scenes at the race tracks of spectators carrying binoculars. Most appear to be rather large 1930's vintage 7 x 50 porros; some also looked like large Galileans. It was shown on my local Cable TV a week ago. Good movie! It will be around again, I'm sure.
Bob

Last edited:
An excellent film (Seabiscuit) which I've seen twice... On re-checking the Carl Zeiss site I note that Hensoldt (partly owned by Zeiss from 1925) commenced production of roof prism binoculars as early as 1905. They were market leaders in this field, which is why Zeiss eventually bought them out and later used the 'Dialyt' name for Zeiss models. Where's my anorak? (I don't have one actually, but I forgive you for thinking otherwise).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back