• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50d vs 1dm2 vs 1ds (1 Viewer)

666taz

Phill Wain
England
Ive been looking and these can all be got for about the same prices.Obviously the 50d would be new the other two second hand ,i'm wondering what others thoughts are as I am leaning towards the 1ds but I am finding it hard to make my mide up or do i just go for the 40d and save loads of money lol cheers for any input Phill

Last edited:
easy anser 50d for a start its new has a great screen and most inportantly you can fix front/back focus unless miles out -or at leased tune your lenses.great for cropping too
But the D series will have better inflight focus and weather sealing the latter been handy if your lenses have it too.
im sure i would go for the 50d .
Rob

IMO the 50D will produce a better image than the 1DII if everything goes right, but the 1DII will give more consistently good results and the weather sealing and many other extras are not to be sniffed at either.

Cant really comment on the 1Ds, but I suspect the 1DII is an all round more useable birding camera with faster frame rate and (I think) focusing.

All are good cameras though...depends what you want to do with the pics. I do a bit of "sport" photography, so the 1DII was a no-brainer, as I didn't want to stretch to a Mk III.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back