• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pre-nitrogen Habichts -- prices? (2 Viewers)

Binocollector

Germany
Hi guys and gals,
I'd need a little input from the forum. I am currently making up my mind whether to finally bite the bullet and hand out the cash to get a Habicht. Being a big porro fan and all and the fact that they seem to become rarer by the minute (it seems currently that for instance Nikon has stopped production of all of their high-end porros like the 7x50 SP, etc. Even the Mikron seems to be gone).
So I had a little looksie on ebay for a nice used one. And I found a 7x42 with the rubber armor that looked pristine but didn't yet have the nitrogen-filling. But from how new it looked, I suspect it was the last generation before the introduction of the nitrogen-filling. The price seemed reasonable and I almost jumped on it but then had second thoughts. The seller has relisted them for slightly above 500€.
If they really are in the good condition they seem to be from the pictures, does that seem like a good price or should I go for a new one for around 1k€? It would probably involve selling a few others but I have too many anyway.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi

You are talking pre-1984 binoculars. They are no match for current production Habicht, Swaro has improved quality of its optical components and coating technology a lot at the end of the XXth century. If you are looking for the best viewing experience, fork out the ~1000 and get a current production pair or reasonably recent pair (less than 20 yr) in good condition.
If you are looking to collect and/or use a historical pair of bins, get an older one but I don't see no reason why they should be as expensive as you mention. Don't expect a better view than a pair of Jenoptems from the same era which can be had for ~100 in correct condition. Older swaros are scarce but not as sought after as Zeiss Oberkochen. If you aren't in a hurry a decent pair of 7x42 can be had for less than half the sum you mention.

Cheers
zp*

Thanks, that's the info I was hoping for. So the nitrogen-filling was introduced 1984? That is far earlier than I had expected. It explains why nobody bought it :D.
This is the one I am talking about -- it looks so flawless in the pictures that I wouldn't have expected it to be more than a few years old:

The purple coating (transmax) which gives a yellow cast to the image makes this model a late 70s or early 80s one. The condition is unusually pristine therefore maybe worth such a premium to a collector.

Cheers,
zp*

Thanks again! Never would have thought that it is this old.
Since I already have more than enough binos from that period (5 Hartmann Porlerims for instance) I think I'll rather save up for a new one or sell some others to get one...

Have some patience, there are deals out there. I just procured a 10X40 BGA for $900 which is a 2021 model. Just need to work on that very firm focus wheel. They don't look to have had any use, and came with everything including a hard foam filled plastic case.

Have some patience, there are deals out there. I just procured a 10X40 BGA for $900 which is a 2021 model. Just need to work on that very firm focus wheel. They don't look to have had any use, and came with everything including a hard foam filled plastic case.

Awesome binocular, i have the same model. Good deal for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back