• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 moths to ID - April (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me an ID on these 4 moths please.

All from last nights garden mothing session in East Cheshire

Sorry about the particularly poor image #4

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• April-Moth-1.jpg
    April-Moth-1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 45
  • April-Moth-2.jpg
    April-Moth-2.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 42
  • April-Moth-3.jpg
    April-Moth-3.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 39
  • April-Moth-4.jpg
    April-Moth-4.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 45
Cheers Paul

So.... is image 2 simply Eriocrania subpurpurella moths have metallic golden wings, lightly speckled with purplish or blue tiny spots

while image 1 is this:
The relatively uncommon form fastuosella is much more richly marked with purple spots or striations.

Hmmm complicated, but I guess image 1 + 2 are the same, relatively speaking.

Dave

I don't think so. Forms should not really be treated in the same way as subspecies in birds. There is more routine variation. The key in MOGBI Volume 1 page 157 describes all subpurpurella as 'forewing golden with faint paler markings, usually with scattered purple and blue scales' and distinguishes the species from all other Eriocraniidae on the basis that those have a 'forewing purple, or golden strongly mixed with purple'.

The form fastuosella is described as 'forewing heavily strigulated purple and blue'. I wouldn't say the odd purplish scale fits that. So 1 is within the variation of the normal form in my view.

All the best

I don't think so. Forms should not really be treated in the same way as subspecies in birds. There is more routine variation. The key in MOGBI Volume 1 page 157 describes all subpurpurella as 'forewing golden with faint paler markings, usually with scattered purple and blue scales' and distinguishes the species from all other Eriocraniidae on the basis that those have a 'forewing purple, or golden strongly mixed with purple'.

The form fastuosella is described as 'forewing heavily strigulated purple and blue'. I wouldn't say the odd purplish scale fits that. So 1 is within the variation of the normal form in my view.

All the best

Thanks for taking time again to explain Paul :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back