• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maidenhead, Cookham - Berkshire (1 Viewer)

colaboy

Thought I would open a thread for this area. I spend a lot of time casually birdwatching in and around Maidenhead, particularly along the river at Cookham up to Cock Marsh (it's just few minutes drive from me). There's always a lot of activity along the Thames here: nothing ultra rare, but a good place to get familiar with, particularly if it's just on your doorstep.

Cock Marsh is a good place to get fairly close to Skylarks (you can often see their heads poking up out of the grass: if you move around slowly). Little Owl can be seen early evening (if you're lucky) in the larger trees bordering the marsh. I've recently seen Red Kites landing here to drink. Kestrels and Hobby also hunt across the whole area.

Back towards Cookham there's a little nature reserve (mainly for schools). In summer there's always Sedge Warblers tugged in along the stream there, and plenty of Reed Bunting.

The river holds plenty of residents and visitors; it's an excellent place to see Egyptian Geese; Mandarin Duck; Kingfisher; Grebes; Comorants; Heron; Swallows and Martins (enjoying the glut of river insects); and all the other usual river suspects.

For anyone living around this area you might be interested to know that there are some Bar-headed Geese currently grazing with Canadian. I was tipped off by the landlord at the Bounty. You'll find them (if they're still there) first field after the marina (opposite the Bounty) towards Marlow. Probably escaped from a nearby wildlife park or something.

Anyway, if there are any other bird watchers around the Maidenhead area, I'd love to hear about your favourite spots. Day long expeditions to reserves and other sites for exotic species are all well and good: but there's nothing like knowing where all the good spots are in your own patch.

colaboy said:
Day long expeditions to reserves and other sites for exotic species are all well and good: but there's nothing like knowing where all the good spots are in your own patch.
Very true.......especially when you eventually find an 'exotic species' on your patch!! Look forward to hearing what you find........

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back