• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you identify this bird from Thattekad Bird Sanctuary? (1 Viewer)

vijay0828

We spotted this little fellow while walking through Thattekad Sanctuary in Kerala. Can anyone identify it for me please? many thanks

Attachments

• Thattekad1.jpg
    Thattekad1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 219
I'm not sure if Greater Flameback can be ruled out from this picture. The white nape (of Greater) could be hidden and I can't see if there is only one moustache streak or more.
The bill is quite massive which could point to Greater Flameback, but as said I doubt that a definitive ID is possible from this picture. Do you have a picture showing the nape of the bird?

André

Hello Vijay,

I saw your other post asking if October is a good time to visit. And now that you have made the trip.. how was it? what did you see?

In my experience, monsoon birding is difficult not only because of the rains but the leeches.. But mosoon in a rainforest is something to be experienced.

Regards
Praveen

Here is the nape. There is a definite white there, so I am thinking that Wintibird could be right with the Greater Flameback. But great work all round. Boy are you guys fabulous, or what?!

Hi Pravman - our trip was fantastic. We are posting a blog (day by day) on IndiaMike. Still a work in progress, but take a look.

Attachments

• BirdNape.jpg
    BirdNape.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 136
Steve, those are fantastic shots. And some quite spectacular birds.

I was trying to identify this one, but couldn't find it in your list. Sorry, it's not a great photo as it's a blowup from my camcorder ...

Attachments

• Chinnar.jpg
    Chinnar.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 157
It's a sunbird in eclipse plumage. I don't have any books here, so I can't tell you the species. In any case the bill looks to short for Loten's.

André

Here was another sighting from Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary. Would you be able to identify this please? many thanks again.

Attachments

• BirdChinnar.jpg
    BirdChinnar.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back