• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds that seem to glow in dark (1 Viewer)

Ron35

Hi everyone,
Around 10 pm as I was standing in my terrace I saw 4-5 birds flying together that seem to glow (green like Radium). This is the second time I have seen the group of birds in past month. I came across a couple of threads in this forum when I searched the web.

More information- Birds were sighted in a small town in central India around 10 in night. It's the beginning of rainy season here. I could see them for 10-15 seconds before they faded (for lack of a better bird). Since I was high up in my terrace I was keen to see how far they will fly but I couldn't see them after 10-15 seconds. Birds were medium to big in size. There are no water bodies nearby. Both times they were 4-5 of them flying very close.
While searching for explanation I have come across some assumptions about barn owls but nothing substantial.
Thanks

It's most unlikely that these were Barn Owls as it would be very unusual to see a group of 4 or more together in close proximity and also in a town. Perhaps they "glow" due to some source of artificial nearby light, such as reflected street lighting. Perhaps you could try to photograph or video them next time, but it's unlikely that the birds will be identified on the information provided so far. I'm sure you've seen or heard parakeets in the area, I only say this as they fly together, have a green plumage and are found throughout the Indian sub continent. Could they have been these? Ring-necked parakeets are quite frequent visitors in urban areas.

Last edited:
Gulls appear quite ghostly under lights and do fly at night around docks etc where there is a lot of artificial light.

In India, could they be Red-Wattled Lapwings, often active at night or even Egrets but as Pat said, we may never know the answer.

A

Last edited:
In some places, pigeon fanciers paint their birds in bright colours for some reason. I don't know if that's a thing where you live, but it might be another possibility.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

My knowledge is quite limited when it comes to identifying birds hence I'll try to take a photograph if I spot them again. I live on the outskirts and we have a small mango orchard behind my place where I have spotted various birds but nothing like this. I wouldn't have posted the query if I hadn't spotted them for a second time.

There are 10-12 Red-Wattled Lapwings who hover around a tree besides the terrace. They have been there for around 2 months.

There is a government building with plenty of piegons in front of my house . I don't know whether people around here are into painting piegons but it could be a possibility.

Thanks

Ring-necked parakeets and several related parakeets are bright green, live in cities in central India, and may appear to glow when lighted by street lights or similar.

I hope you came across much rarer or possibly non-existing phenomenon: birds which feathers became coated with bioluminescent fungi or algae growing in dead wood or in marsh water, and really glow. This is described in old books which explain origin of fairytale glowing birds like Zar-ptak. However I never saw a photo of a glowing bird nor met a birdwatcher who saw it personally. So I am inclined in believe that they were parakeets lighted by artificial light.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back