• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania - overwhelming number of birds that all look similar (3 Viewers)

Here's a nice preview with some useful information for cisticolas, sandpipers, robins and nightjars (don't be deterred by the fact that it says 'kids'):

EDIT: Also check out the previews at the already linked

and the following three for seawatching:

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

I live on a regenerative farm, and we have around one hundred bird species here. Thousands of birds really. There are over 500 species in the wider area. A lot of them look pretty similar, like all the cisticolas, female weavers, prinias, female indigobirds etc.

I have been birdwatching for about a year now, but I still struggle with all those similar birds. Any tips on how I might improve this? Many birds here are very elusive as well, as they are hunted (and eaten) just outside our farm. So I often only see them from far away, or they fly away as soon as I try to watch them through my binoculars. So I only get to see them for a very short time.

Thanks a lot for any help!
I can't help with any bird information but it sounds like a wonderful place to live and great that you are restoring it and getting more birds

Two suggestions are to buy an inexpensive new or used camera to photograph the birds and the other is to use something like the Merlin sound ID app on your smartphone. I go to an area where there are 4 species of terns during the year and the Merlin app helps me to identify ones that are flying high overhead.

I get various sparrows and finches around my house and they can be moving too fast to easily identify some of the species. Taking a photograph makes it easier to study the bird and review bird ID guides at my leisure. Even a $155 Kodak Pixpro AZ2255 with its 25x zoom lens will work well enough for bird ID photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back