• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black/Clapper Rail-BV Shearwater locations (1 Viewer)

dcw

Hello all I was wondering good reliable locations in California for Black rail, Clapper rail and Black-vented Shearwater (land based seawatches or whale watching/ferry boats etc). Thank you very much. Dave..

I know that the black rail is best in san Francisco bay area so there for that bird and bv shearwater is best is socal tjhere for that bird. I can go where ever it is best for these 3 birds.

We found our first Black Rail during a full moon high tide at the north end of Bolinas Lagoon, north of San Francisco, about halfway to Point Reyes.

Steve

Between the beginning of September and half-way February Black-vented Shearwater is "Common to Abundant" in Southern California. There are known to get close to the coast so there is no need to get on a boat for them. eBird should help you find a proper sea watch location.

Thanks to everyone on the responses so far. I've been to La Jolla 2 times in San Diego for a sea watch but only seen the birds way out on the horizon (un-tickable views even though I knew what they were). I'm interested in the rail as it will be split this year. When is the best time of year for the black rails? when they are calling in the spring? I've heard something about super tides in the winter would this be better? thanks again Dave.

I have a related but more specific question. Are Black Rails still found in the Palo Alto Baylands? This area is often mentioned as a good spot for them, but on eBird there is only one sighting there in the past 10 years (compared to numerous sightings before then). I haven't been able to find any information saying that they have disappeared or anything, there's just no recent sightings on eBird and that seems odd to me.

Black Rails are dang near impossible to find. Now we frown upon the chain dragging and charging round in their habitat to flush them, sightings are even rarer.

I would be happy just hearing a Black Rail!! What time of year do they call on the west coast? I've heard of the rails being seen after being forced out on extra high tides in the SF Bay area but no idea where this location is.

The biggest tides "King Tides" were in the beginning of January, I tried for them in a town called Martinez and had no luck. Now that it's closer to spring they are starting to be heard there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back