• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point Pelee, Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Bird Forum Doug.
I went during the 1st 2 weeks in May. I think they have the festival of birds throughout May so anytime during May is probably very good. Gets a bit busy for my liking. I much prefered Rhonda and regret not visiting Long Point.

Mark

Hi Doug.

"Welcome to Birdforum!" on behalf of the Moderators and other Staff here.

As Mark says, May is great there. As a novice you should be looking at teaming up with one of the expert-led walks for your first session there; if you make it early in the day, do a 'led' walk to get a feel of the place and the species there then you have the rest of the day to take your time and study your 'own' birds. I can recommend Jean Iron as a leader (she takes a mean photo, too - see my avatar ;) ).

Regards,

Andy.

PS; I think Mark means Rondeau - certainly worth a visit if you are passing!

Last edited:
Hi Doug and welcome, have a mate who reccomends this area highly and i have it on my to visit list.

May seems to be a great time from his information so i hope you can visit and fill us all in to how well it went

Andrew Rowlands said:
You mean Rhondda, Mark - or the Spanish one, Ronda ;) ?
I think Mark means Rondeau. Dropped in there for a day early one June and had a fantastic time, even though passage was past its best by then. I'm told Pelee is better, though

PS Should read previous posts properly, shouldn't I? ;)

To be honest Pelee was very dissapointing when I went in 1997. I think like most UK migrant hotspots it is dependant on the right kind of fall conditions. My visit coincided with a prolonged high pressure. Incidentally I enjoyed the nearby Coopergaron and Comber woods much more as there were more birds and far less people. For any British birders, Pelee (in May) attracts more birders than the Scillies in October.

Mark

Hello. I've worked at both Pelee (2005) and Long Point (2006). May is definitely the best time. I advise calling both locations in advance and ask what the migration status is to avoid disappointment. Pelee is crazy in May, birders everywhere!! If I recall correctly it was busiest the first 2-3 weeks. Long Point is nice because you can watch them band as well, so you get nice close-ups of the birds. Happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back