• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Koala 'massacre': scores of animals found dead or injured after plantation logging (1 Viewer)

I was going to post something further on this, but the pictures of multiple mangled koalas is extremely distressing. Sickening. :-C

What a horrid vile nightmare world.

Chosun :gh:

CJ
Post #2 relates to a six year old story, however distressing the whole scenario. It is probably and sadly still continuing, even though it occurred prior to the devastating bushfires.
I understand your reasons for highlighting and drawing attention to such goings on but am puzzled why you then advise the members of what you were intending to do but didn't as the images are too graphically upsetting for you. Is it right and proper to seek awareness but then only what you think fit to present? Surely it is then an incomplete picture that your thread is portraying? Warts and all would deliver far more shock value if BF is the appropriate vehicle for spreading the message.
I'm all for debate, and various "columns" I've read and thought about lead me to ask you this, do any members of Australia's Indigenous communities still hunt, gather and consume native wild animals as a source of food?

I will do my own research meanwhile, but where do we draw the line? Yes they do - following traditions and culture passed on down by the elders or No they don't, cause chicken, lamb, pork, beef and seafood can be easily found on the chillers or frozen cabinets.

This post has developed from a slurry of pandemic illness, bushmeat, historical practices, global pollution and hypocritical campaigners.

I concur that as a species we are acting and practicing in a vile manner - overturning a 3rd runway for Heathrow on environmental grounds but lauding the fact that Boris J. is fathering yet another child.

Bye for now, and yes, my feathers are ruffled.

P

Pyrtle, I'm not sure if they are the same logging mobs involved (I'm late for the land of zzzzz ! :) but the OP relates to an incident late last year. This is not the first rodeo. I personally found it too much (seeing pictures of many crushed, mangled koalas), some still wedged (or parts of them anyway) to post. I've had it with the robber barons. This is caused by nothing more than hubris, inhumanity, and greed.

If people are interested they can just search online for further articles - heads up though you won't like what you see. I think most people who frequent these forums and care about animals would have a similar reaction to me.

To answer your other question - yes Indigenous people do still hunt (for survival, not fun or 'sport') various native animals based on totemic and 'country' law. I'm not sure if Koalas are on the menu. I will seek the knowledge next time I sit with the proper elders. It is too simplistic to think from a modern perspective of them (or any living thing - plants included) as a food resource to be 'taken'. The relationship is far more symbiotic than that, and the appropriate 'permissions' from the ancestors, country, and plants and animals must be sought first by appropriately initiated people. Anyway I don't intend for this to be a lesson on Aboriginal culture - just answering your question.

Given that large parts of the country have been concreted over, and otherwise exploited, such things are not practical in many areas. As much as possible though, for health, and cultural practice, many Aboriginals do consume native tucker - the majority of which are plant based, or seafood in the appropriate areas.

Native tucker is the next big thing on the hipster foodie scene.

No areas of koala habitat are off-limits to clearing or offsetting

Given the declines in Koala numbers and habitat over decades and decades even prior to the catastrophic bushfires suffered this summer, and the devastation that wrought on Koala numbers and habitat, every single Koala is precious. That makes these forestry travesties all the more gut wrenching.

However, the laws protecting Koalas and their habitats have been, and remain, completely inadequate with further declines and local extinctions feared. ........ :-C

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...0738&id=157812980921536&fs=0&focus_composer=0

"NSW planning policy for koalas falls short of the legal safeguards needed to protect the iconic animals and their habitats."
https://www.edo.org.au/2020/02/20/k...z-kGIL4gjjdMPBY4nHbQrhS2vJLu1ROqwKGxnYi41md8A

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back