• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What DSLR? (1 Viewer)

Alkip

I'm after a bit of advice please, in the next couple of months I'll be on the look out for a decent DSLR with a full range of manual and auto options.

Here's a few guidelines;

I've used Pentax SLRs (K1, ME Super, MV etc) and liked them
I have used a Canon Digital (A60 powershot iirc) and loved it
I currently have a Nikon Digital (coolpix S4) and hate it
My father in law has a Lumix (Panasonic iirc) DSLR and I hate it

I'd be looking to spend up to £600 or thereabouts on the camera with case and a decent lens

Uses - nature and motorsports photography

Brand names mean nothing to me so I don't care if it's a cheapapatureshutternosimoko as long as it is reliable and darned fine at doing it's job. That said I did like my Pentax' and the Canon that I had.

So, if anyone gets bored or simply thinks "I know what would suit this guy" then please post it here.

Thanking you in anticipation

My initial thought is that you're going to be very hard-pushed to get a camera and lens suitable for nature and motorsports, for £600, Alkip...

My initial thought is that you're going to be very hard-pushed to get a camera and lens suitable for nature and motorsports, for £600, Alkip...

my thinking too...

I guess a 400D (currently ~£350 with the cashback offer) and a (bargain)secondhand Sigma 70-200 f2.8 could be had for ~£600 all in. That would make a decent enough set up for motorsport and adding a 2x tc when funds allowed would make for a reasonable birding set up.

For that sort of money Alkip you would be looking at used equipment.I have never bought any camera gear new and have never had a problem.Current gear is 350d (£200) Sigma 135-400mm (£100) Kenko 1.4x pro converter (£70).I tell a lie the converter was new off ebay.I seem to get by OK with this set up and it didnt break the bank.

Digital depot prices, new

Canon 400D £399 with £50 cashback, or 400D and 18-55 kit lens £459 with £50 cashback.
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 apo macro £149-00

Should get you started.

Thanks for the prompt replies people, much appreciated.

Approaching this another way what would be a good camera and lens combination to fill the needs above? I would have thought that I would be better with a 35 or 50 to 200 zoom lens rather than an 18 to 50 what's peoples opinions?

18-55mm is equivalent to 28-80mm or thereabouts taking into account the crop factor with an APS-C type DSLR sensor, and a 300mm equates to 480mm, this is a crop however (it is not higher magnification)

My daughter has the 18-55mm lens and it really is a good lens, it has had some variable reviews which sugests there could be variation from lens to lens.

Pentax K100D super and Tamron 28-300 would come in just under budget. Don't know much about them but it would be a pretty flexible image stabilised setup.

Thanks Nigel and Paul, the reviews on various independent sites are good for the K100D Super so I think it's time for me to investigate that camera further, look for something of similar spec in the Canon range so that I can compare the two and check out my local camera shops and the web for any used or ex demo bargains that there might be about.

Thanks again

Hi,

I have had the sigma 70-300 and it did a decent job on a film camera. But if you can still find a EOS 350D in England, the money you save could perhaps enable you to go for the sigma 135-400. I have never used it, but it gets better reviews than the 70-300, and you get an extra 100mm. Over here the 350D is still avaliable and sells for app. 200 C$ less than 400D.

Thomas

Do you still have any of your old Pentax gear? The old K mount lenses can still be used. Loads of stuff on the second hand market as well.
If so I would go with one of the current slrs- a friend uses the K10 and the results are superb.

Cheers folks, what a great bunch of people you are.

Phil, unfortunately I don't have any of my old Pentax lenses which was a kick in the stomach when I was talking to my local, one man band, knows a heck of a lot and is ready to share his knowledge, camera shop owner earlier today as he told me that the older lenses could be used, anyway bygones.

It's looking very much like I'll be going for the K10D with the 18-55mm kit lens and then building my stock of lenses and other peripherals as finances allow.

I've already posted a question in the Pentax forum.

I can 2nd Mike from ebbw's recommendation of the sigma 135-400mm, I'm very pleased with it. I use mine with a Canon EOS 400d.

If you're working to a limited budget I'd stick with either Canon or Nikon because you'll need to rely upon 2nd hand lenses for the time being. Based upon this forum there seems to be more Canon users with long lenses to sell than Nikon ones therefore Canon arguably offers better value for money. However if I was in your shoes I'd leave it a couple of months until the dealers are trying to clear their stock of the Nikon D200 (just replaced by D300) and buy a 2nd hand Nikon EDIF 300mm f4. circa £120 ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back